Aerial booster

Kate B 00:18 07 Mar 2006

Hello all - for some reason my digital TV signal seems to be pretty poor, making the Channel 4 channels pretty much unwatchable. This is a fairly recent annoyance and I did wonder if it was to do with the high pressure, but it's all wet and warm again and the problem remains. The best signal strength I can get for the Crystal Palace transmitter seems to be 62 per cent. My old digibox - the Sony - had no problems at all but the Digifusion HDD twin tuner digibox has been struggling for the past couple of weeks.

Any suggestions as to how I can improve matters short of paying someone to scramble around on the roof? This is my third digibox since the launch of digital TV and the first time I've had unacceptable pictures.

remind 12:17 07 Mar 2006

have you tried maplin or a local branch of richer sounds (the latter usually staffed by very knowledgable folk)

amonra 13:13 07 Mar 2006

You can buy a cheap TV aerial amplifier from Maplins, PCWorld, Woolies or any decent electrical dealer for around a tenner. Just plug the aerial in to the input and a lead to the TV from the output, might improve your reception. One thing to check on first, is to make sure all your plugs and sockets on the TV leads are nice and tight, no bad connections.
These digiboxes are a law unto themselves, some will work quite happily on next to no signal, whilst others need a powerful signal. Price means nothing, the best one I have bought is a Matsui, cheap and nasty, but it works ! The more expensive Philips and Samsung models ( in different rooms) are c**p in comparison. It's all a case of suck-it-and-see. Good luck.

Stuartli 14:09 07 Mar 2006

Tesco does a two way out aerial amplificer for £8.97 under its Technika brand name.

It's exactly the same amplifier (rebranded) as under the SLX2 brand name.

SLX range detailed at:

click here

Technical advice at:

click here

Stuartli 14:28 07 Mar 2006

One of the brand names that Philex holds will be familiar to computer users - Labgear.

Kate B 15:40 07 Mar 2006

Thank you very much, guys, I'll look into those.

Arnie 23:41 07 Mar 2006

try to insert the amplifier as near as possible to the aerial. This will ensure you are amplifying the best signal and not a weaker one and an increase in noise. (Better signal to noise ratio).
More noise could be introduced if the amplifier was connected at the end of a long cable run near the TV's input socket.

Hope this is clear to you.

Arnie.

Kate B 18:13 08 Mar 2006

Thanks for the tip, Arnie, fortunately the telly is right by the aerial socket and thus as close to the aerial as it's going to get.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?