Advice on new PC for video editing please

hastelloy 19:24 05 Oct 2006
Answered

I want to use Adobe Premier Elements 3 ( and may want to go to the full program eventually). Minimum requirements are:

* Intel® Pentium® 4 or Intel Celeron® 1.3GHz processor (or compatible processor with SSE2 support); dual-core processors and those with Hyper-Threading Technology supported; Pentium 4 3GHz processor required for HDV* Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional, Home Edition, or Media Center Edition with Service Pack 2
* 512MB of RAM; 1GB required for HDV
* 4GB of available hard-disk space
* Color monitor with 16-bit color video card
* 1,024x768 monitor resolution
* Microsoft DirectX 9 compatible sound and display driver

I already have a suitable monitor but is it worth going to dual core processor? (I don't understand the implications of this!!) I'd like to go for 2GB memory and 2 decent hds (250/300 Gb). HD isn't important at the moment but that could change in time. Any suggestions as to a supplier please? I'd like to spend around 5-600 though could go higher if necessary - this will probably be the last PC I buy, though upgrade could be on the cards.

Geoff

ade.h 22:15 05 Oct 2006

A good CPU, a large, fast HDD and copious quantities of good quality RAM ar the order of the day for video editing. Don't buy an outdated single-core CPU. I may soon be replacing my P4 650 with a Core 2 Duo if I can get the requisite BIOS update (depending on the chip).

hastelloy 07:25 06 Oct 2006

Many thanks

I suspected that dual core might be the way to go. Does 7,200 rate as fast for a hdd or should it be 10000? (or 15000)? Would 2Gb memory rate as copious or do I need more? The spec says "monitor with 16-bit color video card" - is this the graphics card and what do I need here. Sorry for all the questions - I'm a bit of a thicko technically speaking!!!

Geoff

De Marcus™ 09:43 06 Oct 2006

Follow ade.h's advice and you won't go far wrong.

If your buying new then Core Duo is the way to go. As for HD speed, I'd personally recommend a small capacity fast HD (10,000 rpm) for you main system, and a larger normal speed (7200 rpm) for backing your films up to (maybe even an external one). 2gb of Ram is plenty sufficient.

As for monitor with 16bit colour video card, that covers just about every graphics card on the market. Video editing is cpu, ram and hd intensive, your graphics card makes no difference. The only time a decent (i.e. anything that's not built in) graphics card is required is when your using a very large screen for editing or viewing, this is down to a cards ability to display properly at high resolution.

ade.h 15:58 06 Oct 2006

A WD Raptor would be good for this task - they run at 10,000rpm.

hastelloy 20:54 06 Oct 2006

Thanks for all the advice. I'll try to write a spec now and then find a supplier.

Geoff

De Marcus™ 11:39 07 Oct 2006

Let us know what spec you plump for, so we can all get jealous :-)

hastelloy 17:07 07 Oct 2006

I've just been looking at Novatech's nForcer 4200, though I'd want a second hd and more USB ports. They don't specify hd speed so I've emailed them. Just hope I can afford it!!!
Thanks for all the help - it's been invaluable.
Geoff

De Marcus™ 18:21 07 Oct 2006

Do you have a budget you'd like to stick too?

Or are you flexible?

hastelloy 19:54 07 Oct 2006

I originally thought 5-600 but can go higher if necessary. As this is probably the last pc I'll but (I'm getting on a bit) I want to be as sure as I can that it'll outlast me (probably a vain hope).
Do you have something in mind?

De Marcus™ 20:24 07 Oct 2006

Yes, I do, but I need to remember where I found it.

I will find it, but it may take a while.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?