Advice on a budget/recycled parts home media setup

wastenotwantnot 01:51 03 Oct 2017

Hi, Im looking at cobbling together a home media set up using old stuff I already have laying around and could do with some advice please?.. I have an ageing ATX pc that I was going to set up as some sort of home server/nas using something like Amahi with plex. I also have both a raspberry pi 2b and a 2nd gen fire stick that I was planning on using as the front end as theyre both small and silent. My main issue is with my freeview hd/pvr as I currently have an EE tv box which I intend to replace with a DIY set up. The EE box has 3 freeview hd tuners built in and so I will need at least this many on my build. The catch 22 is that my antenna outlet socket is located behind my tv in the lounge so I either have to use usb stick type tv tuners on the pi and send recordings to the pc/server, or buy a PCIe card tuner for the pc/server, stick the pc in the loft where the antenna lives (as its too big and noisy for the lounge!) and 'push' live tv to the pi somehow.

Im guessing this is possible with tvheadend and osmc on the pi but I have no experience of this. The most I have done is dabble with kodi on the fire stick which I found tedious as you have to set everything up with the fire tv remote.

I also looked into HDHomerun but its only dual tuner in the uk.

Any pointers please?

Thanks.

Aitchbee 12:36 03 Oct 2017

You might get some inspiration from youtube.

click here

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?