8 year old gaming PC problems

RaiderSSG 00:09 19 Oct 2017

I've had this Gateway DX4320 for 8 years, I'm concerned that my motherboard might be dying. It's running really slow, it barely runs my game, and it blue screens every time I run World of Tanks, and Spotify at the same time. Specs: AMD Phenom II x4 945 quad, Nvidia GTX 750 TI, 8GB RAM, 550w PSU, 1TB HDD, ASUS motherboard, Running Windows 7 64 bit. Upgraded Also, when the CPU fan kicks in, it's really loud and obnoxious.

Menzie 15:16 19 Oct 2017

First off the basics if not already done:

Perform a system maintenance/ check-up. This includes error checking and defragmenting drives, and also checking for malware with something like Malware Bytes.

Check the case for dust and give the CPU and fans a good clean with a can of compressed air.

Make sure all fans are spinning.

It might also be time to do a fresh install of Windows.

When the computer Blue Screens what is the message on display?

RaiderSSG 15:27 19 Oct 2017

The case is dust free, the CPU still overheats constantly, windows was just freshly installed last weekend, Mal ware free, I don't download much, and I have replaced the rear fan several times. I don't know what more to do. I didn't get a chance to actually take a good picture/read the blue screen message as it goes away as fast as a light goes off.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:44 19 Oct 2017

Remove Cpu fan and check for a layer of fluff between fan and heatsink.

Menzie 00:55 20 Oct 2017

If a Blue Screen happened the computer should have a log saved on the HDD. Something like Blue Screen View will be able to read the log file in a manner that helps to make it easier to pinpoint at what point the system is failing.

Being an 8 year old system, has the cooler been removed from the CPU before? It might be a case of needing an application of some thermal paste.

Try Blue Screen View and let us know what you find log-wise on your system in the most recent crash.

click here

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

Political cartoons in 2017: Chris Riddell, Rebecca Hendin and Dave Brown on what it’s like to…

The best iPhone for 2017

Tennis : comment regarder la finale de la Coupe Davis 2017 ?