Zonealarm vs. Norton

Katstar 20:09 13 Jan 2006

I've got a new computer and am connecting it up to the internet, so want to install some antivirus/spyware/etc. software. Not knowing a great deal about computers, I've narrowed it (from a very small group) to the two I've dealt with before - Zonealarm and Norton. I wondered if anyone could tell me which out of Zonealarm's 'Internet Security Suite 6' and Norton's 'Internet Security 2006' they would recommend to someone who just wants to install it and not have to tweak about with things? I know people will have different opinions, but I'm open to advice (and other suggestions over different software).

Any help is gratefully received!

polish 20:35 13 Jan 2006

i use zonealarm security suite which is very good and does not slow the computer down also has regular updates from experience norton is resource hungry and does not update as often once zonealarm is configuered is very easy to use although you do not need to pay for any protection zonealarm do a free firewall and avg do a free antivirus which suite most people

Starfox 20:37 13 Jan 2006

Zonealarm best every time!

MidgetMan 20:38 13 Jan 2006

Forget Norton it takes over the whole system and is a complete pain to get rid off

bellababy 20:52 13 Jan 2006

I agree with Midgetman, forget Norton go for AVG at <click here> Also I find ZoneAlarm good.

tidywires 21:03 13 Jan 2006

I have no experience of Zonealarm but have ditched Norton after 4yrs due to the excessive annual renewal charges (about £35). I did a lot of research and bought Trend Micro's PC-Cillin suite in the end(Firewall and Antivirus) which is suberb and has reasonable renewal costs (£20) and for this you get upgraded to the latest version as well. It can be purchased for £39.99 as a download from click here who are very helpful should you require assistance.

gyrotyro 23:52 13 Jan 2006

For 2002 to 4 I used Zone Alarm free firewall and Adaware and Spybot to deal with viruses. This combo worked well. "005 I was given Norton Security 2005 and this worked well but my ancient box did seem to slow down especially on start-up and shut-down. This year I tried ZoneAlarm Security Suite 6 but gave up on it - too many questions I couldn't answer.I am now running Sygate Firewall and Avast which seems to be working well. I would say ZA is very good but definitely for expert users.

Katstar 01:29 14 Jan 2006

Thanks for all your help! If I went for the free software, would the zonealarm firewall and the AVG software cover everything? Or is there anything else I need to include?

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:35 14 Jan 2006

You need MS Antispy click here and Ccleaner click here. You could also have Spybot as a reserve click here

use a little common sense and you will be fine (most of the people infectedby Spyaxe had firewalls, spyware stoppers and AVs in abundance...and it still got through because they gave it permission ;-)) ).

G

Katstar 11:41 14 Jan 2006

Thank you- that's great! I think I'll go with the combination of free software. Thank you all for your help.

freaky 12:22 14 Jan 2006

I had this quandary on my other PC - it had Norton Internet Security 2004 which was due for renewal at £35.

Instead I installed AVG (free) plus the Kerio Firewall - you can download and install this on a 30 days free trial. It comes in two versions one is free, at the end of the trial period you have the option of paying £9 to keep the full version, if you don't pay then it reverts to the basic version. Had it now for 5 days and it works fine.

Kerio click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?