Zalman cooler

Coaster3 14:37 01 Apr 2003

I have just changed my Volcano 7 cooler for a Zalman. I have it set at its slowest setting.

CPU temperature has risen from 47 deg C to 50 deg C which is well within limits.

The computer is now virtually silent and I think that this cooler is to be highly recommended.

Incidentally, Zalman supply a small tool to fit the cooler and it makes the job of fitting simplicity itself. After skinning my knuckles twice trying to get the old cooler off, I feel that it is a pity that other manufacturers do not supply a similar tool.

€dstow 15:23 01 Apr 2003

I'm just in the process of having my coolers changed to Zalman Flowers. With ten machines going in a fairly small office, it can get a bit wearing.

I bought a Zalman a couple of weeks ago to try it but I couldn't hear much difference because of the other machines going at the same time but Friday last, the Zalman was the first switched on and without the others it was, as you say, almost silent.

Just checked the temperature and it going at 46·6.

Very pleased!

€d

Bacon & Eggs 15:27 01 Apr 2003

Have just ordered a Volcano 9 for my CPU... I might be paranoid but i think cruising at 68°C can't be good for it...

Any hints and tips to fitting a heatsink that they don't tell you about??

€dstow 15:45 01 Apr 2003

I think you may have misunderstood. This thread is recommending the Zalman Flower in place of a Volcano. The name Volcano seems to relate to the noise it makes, I think.

If you look at the Zalman cooler on the dabs website, you can find a short video on how to install it.

€d

Coaster3 16:54 01 Apr 2003

The only difficulty that I found with installation was removing the Volcano 7. Much skin gone from knuckles of right hand.

Installing the Zalman is, as they say, a doddle.

Bacon & Eggs 16:55 01 Apr 2003

No, I understood perfectly, just wondered if there were tips to installing a Volcano.

And the 9 makes much less noise than a 7 anyway according to the tech spec. And is half the price. And won't make me worry about having 462g of copper hanging up in my system...

Coaster3 17:01 01 Apr 2003

Hi Ed, Had a look at the video and it does not describe the cooler for AMD CPUs. I've never used a Pentium but I suspect it is describing the fitting for that CPU.

The cooler for AMD CPUs only has one spring to hold the cooler onto the CPU and Zalman supply a simple tool that fits in a small hole in one side of the spring. This tool makes fitting too simple for words.

Coaster3 17:02 01 Apr 2003

Wear leather gloves!!!!

Hunte® 23:05 01 Apr 2003

I also use a Zalman flower on my Athlon and highly recommend them. They maybe a little heavy but they do reduce noise considerably.

Now all I need is a Zalman PSU and Zalman video card cooler.

BTW a friend fitted a Zalman to a new P4 machine with the fan set at its highest. The cpu temperature was (if I remember right) about 20c and the system was a little unstable. Reducing the speed of the fan allowed the temperature to increase and the system to run stable as a rock.....weird I know, but it appears the cooler did its job a little too well :P

Coaster3 18:08 02 Apr 2003

The system has been running for just over 24 hours with the Zalman in place and the temperature has remained as steady as a rock at 50 deg. C with the fan speed at 1395 rpm.

I'm using Papst case fans and the whole system is so quiet that I keep thinking someone has switched it off.

Coaster3 17:27 22 Apr 2003

During the recent hot weather the CPU temperature reached 54 deg C.

I checked on the AMD website and found that the permissable operating temperature for the XP series of processors is 90 deg. C with a few at 85 deg. C.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?