Your thoughts on this system?

dcf3001 12:24 13 Dec 2007

Hi - I'm thinking about getting a new desktop PC on ebay and would appreciate your views on the following system. I think it looks pretty good but I know that some computers sold on ebay have "weak links", as it were.

"BRAND NEW BLACK THERMALTAKE SOPRANO CASE

INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q6600 8MB CACHE 1066MHZ TOWER COMPUTER.

MASSIVE 500 GB 16MB CACHE SATA HARD DRIVE +

NVIDIA 8600GT SLI 512MB GRAPHICS CARD

4096 MB DDR2 MEMORY + 20X DUAL LIGHTSCRIBE DVDRW"

Price: £507.50

(sorry for the caps, it's copied and pasted)

lisa02 12:29 13 Dec 2007

Weakest link is the graphics card, I wouldn't recommend buying on ebay either.

dcf3001 12:47 13 Dec 2007

Thanks for the quick reply. How much of a weak link do you think the graphics card is? I got the impression, after a bit of Googling, that the best you can do for graphics cards is to get something in the 8800 series, but apart from that the 8600 is pretty much top of the range. I also got the impression that some companies use 8500 GT cards or ATI HD 2400 PRO cards because they can claim to be 512MB or 1024MB, without actually being as good as some 256MB cards. How far am I right or wrong?

As far as buying on ebay goes, I suppose it's a matter of how much value you put on the added risk. It has a 1 year return to base warranty, and it seems that buying a similar system from Dell would cost around £850 (when you take into account the fact that Vista is included). That's outside of my budget, especially when adding a monitor.

How much does performance actually differ between Dual Core and Quad Core PCs? Is there a suitable scale factor I should be aware of? (I'm assuming it's not 2).

wjrt 15:30 13 Dec 2007

just done a check as have an 8600gt card and as a guide will play half life at nearly full speed but without the high definition effects and for crysis will meet the minimum but not the recommended spec

donki 16:04 13 Dec 2007

Half life is years old, you hope it would play it. If your computers is for gaming you should be lookign at a minimum of the 8800gts 320mb to play the top games well, personally id try for a 8800GT.

I buy alot off ebay, alot of computer components but never a system. If it if from a seller with good feedback and established along time I wouldnt have a problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017