Your Help Please - Which System is better?

mattr1979 00:27 05 Mar 2008

Hi There,

I am about to order a new system, but as a novice i need a little advice or a slight push in the right direction. Now i'm not doing this completely blind, i have done a little research over the past couple of weeks but this has perhaps confused me a little more and my head is now buldging and pulsating with CPU's, HDD's and PSU's. I'm literally spitting Mhz here people!

I have decided upon a Quad core system - Q6600 to be precise. That was fairly simple to decide upon, the rest of the build is a little more confusing for me. I have 2 spec's that i have almost definately possibly maybe decided upon. Monitor is not needed, just the base unit. The first is a Dell machine and the next a custom build.

XPS 420
Premium Chassis
Quad Core Q6600
4GB RAM 800Mhz (unsure of make)
640GB HDD RAID 0 (2x 320GB)
768MB 8800 GTX NVIDEA
16X DVD +/- RW Drive
Vista Ultimate

Custom Build System...

Quad Core Q6600
X-Cruiser Case
Asus P5NE32-E-SLI (I have absolutely no idea if this is any good)
620watt PSU (Corsair)
4GB RAM 800Mhz (Corsair)
1 x 80GB HDD & 1 x 500GB HDD
768MB 8800 GTX NVIDEA
2 x Pioneer 112d DVD re-writer
Vista Ultimate

Both are approx the same sort of price. Is there a better spec here? Which would you go for? If theres not much between them i guess it would go down to reliability and reputation of the supplier - the big player of dell or the smaller but perhaps more customer focused system builder?!

Over to you forum people....

mattr1979 14:27 05 Mar 2008

My original spec has indeed changed slightly. I originally did it a few days back but the dell website has updated since then, so the new spec is as follows...

XPS 420
PREMIUM CHASSIS QUAD Q6600
4GB RAM 800Mhz
1TB HDD (2 x 500GB)
768MB nVIDEA 8800 GTX
6x Blue-Ray ROM (read) Drive
Vista Ultimate
£1178.99 Inc VAT

You maybe right about the Ultimate version. I took that option mainly because of the remote access. For the money i guess Premium should suffice. I had also intended for the TV Tuner card and Accellorator but i've got reservations as to the quality compared to price. I might pick one up seperately.

Let me know your thoughts. The HDD's and optical is maybe overkill for my needs. I'd be quite happy with lesser amount.

GaT7 16:23 05 Mar 2008

Yeah, sorry you're right the other deal seems to have expired.

Have a look at the following two options....

I. £916, if you're willing to do a little DIY & sell off the original RAM:

Get this 420 XPS click here for £899 after the 10% discount:

ADD for:
- £65: 4GB 800Mhz good quality RAM from click here - leaving 2 slots free in the bargain (no pun intended!). Btw, this is cheaper than Dell's upgrade to 4Gb 800Mhz RAM!!
- £15: another DVD-RW drive click here

Total = £979

SELL the 3Gb RAM that came with the PC for ~£25 on eBay.

Quidco cashback = £38

GRAND Total = £916

-------------------------------------------

II. £795, If you're willing to do a little more DIY & sell off the original RAM & graphics card. This saves £120 from the above, but is essentially the SAME spec:

Get this 420 XPS click here for £539 after the 10% discount:

ADD for:
- £65: 4GB 800Mhz good quality RAM click here - leaving 2 slots free in the bargain (no pun intended!)
- £225: 8800GTX 768Mb click here
- £45: OCZ 600W PSU click here (if Dell provide their under-rated 425W PSU, then you can safely skip this)
- £15: another DVD-RW drive click here

Total = £889

SELL the following parts on eBay (that came with the PC):
- 2Gb RAM for ~£15
- 8800GTS for ~£57

Quidco cashback = £22

GRAND Total = £795

You could get a TV tuner from eBuyer or elsewhere. I'd recommend an external hard drive for backups. Or, to keep costs down, get a HDD enclosure & use the largest drive from your previous PC. G

P.S. If anyone else can offer something equivalent or better for the price, go for that

GaT7 16:44 05 Mar 2008

Actually, the 2 specs above are different in couple of areas - the 1st has the Blu-Ray drive & more hard disk space.

For both, I'd recommend the external hard drive for backups.

The eBay estimates are approx. of course! G

mattr1979 17:43 05 Mar 2008

Crossbow7, many thanks for all your help. You seem to have gone to a lot of trouble to help so thank you. It's appreciated.

I think i'm going to go for option 1. I can just about manage to swap the memory but i will probably go for an external optical drive - anything for an easy life.

One more final question - are there any voucher discount codes for ordering via business? I'm pretty sure i'll claim the VAT back ordering either home or business, but i hear the business route provides a little better customer service. I might be wrong on that, just what i hear on the grapevine, so to speak.

GaT7 18:03 05 Mar 2008

My pleasure, glad to help.

No there aren't any Business vouchers at the moment that I'm aware of.

I think you're right about the Business support being a bit better, but I couldn't tell you for sure. G

GaT7 21:04 06 Mar 2008

What did you go for eventually? G

mattr1979 09:06 07 Mar 2008

I ordered the Dell machine as per your advice for option 1. I order via the business section.

I just hope i'm one of the lucky ones that dont have any problems with delivery.

Thanks again for all your help, much appreciated!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Comment créer un compte PayPal pour payer en ligne ?