Your details sold to 3rd party

gaslamp 16:18 10 Mar 2008

I've been following this story since last week. Well see what you make of it. I don't like it at all.

click here

Clapton is God 16:25 10 Mar 2008

"Your details sold to 3rd party"

So what?

Various Government departments have recently been giving our details away for free by 'losing' laptops and data tapes. ;-(

Totally-braindead 16:29 10 Mar 2008

The DVLA have been selling on peoples details for years. This is somewhat different as the info appears to be more involved than just an address, from the article it appears they are selling on the details of what websites you use etc so they can target you better for the likes of advertising.

I'm not sure if this sort of thing bothers me or not, I get enough rubbish through the door already.

gaslamp 16:34 10 Mar 2008
  gaslamp 16:35 10 Mar 2008

You will be in this scheme whether you like it or not.

gaslamp 16:36 10 Mar 2008
  GANDALF <|:-)> 17:05 10 Mar 2008

Can't be bothered, the Net is an open source/public application and if you don't like it don't use it. Triple meh! here.

G

Forum Editor 17:58 10 Mar 2008

whether you like it or not."

No you won't - statistics about your browsing habits will be in the scheme, and that's a different matter. There'll be nothing that would enable anyone to identify you individually, it's a storm in a teacup.

"Webwise doesn't collect any personal information, or keep IP address, website addresses, keywords or search terms - it simply analyses web pages visited by BT customers and matches them against pre-defined categories of interest to advertisers."

gaslamp 18:24 10 Mar 2008

The only technology to opt you out is a cookie. We all know what happens to cookies. They expire or get deleted as the browser is closed.

gaslamp 18:28 10 Mar 2008

I take it from your replies that most of you are happy for this to happen. Well I am going to take any steps to stop my ISP selling my internet profile or whatever they choose to call after it has been shot down in flames. Bye all happy serfing.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:59 10 Mar 2008

'We all know what happens to cookies. They expire or get deleted as the browser is closed'...incorrect.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone