year long problems with laptop repair

sadtoshiba 18:25 24 Oct 2007

I would like some advice on a toshiba which was purchased from PC World and is covered by Coverplan. The problems started in November last year in the third year of a five year plan. Two months ago I had been told the product had been written off amongst a whole load of confusion I have been told that it had been repaired and returned to the store ready for collection. I have been told today that the product has been written off bu the authorised request was sent to the wrong person. I have now been told by coverplan that the matter is being treated by the escalation team and that it will be picked up from teh store and written off and I will receive vouchers for a laptop of the same spec. As can be appreciated over the last year having snet the product off more than 8 times has caused me great trouble. I have had to purchase another laptop to use as it is essential to my work. I have also spent more than £300 in phone costs and sent numeorus letters and emails to try and resolve the matter.

I had paid £1500 for the latop and £600 for the cover. I would be appalled if I was given vouchers for a similar product which would now probably be around £400 ish. Can anybody advise me on the possible outcome and if I can claim for the full amount.
Similarly I was told by Coverplan that as the laptop has already been repaired The TechGuys are unwilling to write it off if as has been happening something goes wrong and they decide not to write it off do I have a case?
Thank you in advance for the advice

Forum Editor 19:01 24 Oct 2007

can you explain exactly what the problem with the machine was?

What make is it?

sadtoshiba 23:25 24 Oct 2007

The laptop is a Toshiba M30 centrino. The initial problem was water damage and this was back in November last year. First time round the motherboard and some other components were replaced however, when I got the product back it was very slow, kept crashing, over heated after about 20 minutes of use, and the SD slot and CD drive did not function. I sent it off again and did not hear from PC World for a few weeks. I kept trying to find out what had been happening and the whole issue was very confusing. I spoke to people from my local store who told me to contact Coverplan who told me The TechGuys had it who told me the Couriers had it. I had to keep phoning back and this took several weeks. At one point I was told that the laptop had been lost in transit and there was nothing which could be doen as my policy did not cover loss. Finally, I was told that the laptop had been returned to an address in London. The address was totally unknown to me and I was expecting delivery at my home address in Birmingham. I tried to arrange for the laptop to be picked up from this address but nobody at Coverplan or The Techguys would assist in this. I was provided with the address and I went to pick the product up personally. Fortunately the person admitted having received a parcel and claimed to have told the Couriers that it did not belong to them and get it sent back to no avail. After picking the laptop up in February I noticed the same problems I had complained of previously, so I sent it off again.

The product went back and forth several times with exactly the same faults and similar repairs being carried out each time until two months ago when I got on the phone and demanded a replacement. I spoke to many people from many departments and the conclusion was that as I had not complained of the faults within a week of each other for six weeks consecutively I had to send it off again and the six-week rule was explained to me. I sent the product off for the ninth time (I have not kept records of the number of times but was told this by someone on the phone). I sent it off on the 01/08/07. I left it at the store where it was meant to be returned. I visited the store on 07/09/07to be told that the product had not yet been repaired and I would be contacted when it had been. I was also told that if the product was not returned to me by the following week I would be entitled to have it written off. On 14/09/07 I spoke to Amrit from Team 8 who told me the product was still at the workshop. I explained the situation to him and he said he would write the product off. He provided me with a reference number and told me that the product had been written off and I would receive vouchers for the value of the sum I had paid within seven days. After not receiving anything in the post I phoned again and spoke to Ali at Team 34 who could not establish what was happening, whether the laptop had been written off or not, or even where the laptop was. He told me he would have the product written off and I would receive vouchers. He provided me with the name of the Manager and he also gave me his supervisor’s name. I wrote letters to both of these people and posted them out special delivery on 04/10/07 and have not yet received a response.

sadtoshiba 23:26 24 Oct 2007

The product went back and forth several times with exactly the same faults and similar repairs being carried out each time until two months ago when I got on the phone and demanded a replacement. I spoke to many people from many departments and the conclusion was that as I had not complained of the faults within a week of each other for six weeks consecutively I had to send it off again and the six-week rule was explained to me. I sent the product off for the ninth time (I have not kept records of the number of times but was told this by someone on the phone). I sent it off on the 01/08/07. I left it at the store where it was meant to be returned. I visited the store on 07/09/07to be told that the product had not yet been repaired and I would be contacted when it had been. I was also told that if the product was not returned to me by the following week I would be entitled to have it written off. On 14/09/07 I spoke to Amrit from Team 8 who told me the product was still at the workshop. I explained the situation to him and he said he would write the product off. He provided me with a reference number and told me that the product had been written off and I would receive vouchers for the value of the sum I had paid within seven days. After not receiving anything in the post I phoned again and spoke to Ali at Team 34 who could not establish what was happening, whether the laptop had been written off or not, or even where the laptop was. He told me he would have the product written off and I would receive vouchers. He provided me with the name of the Manager and he also gave me his supervisor’s name. I wrote letters to both of these people and posted them out special delivery on 04/10/07 and have not yet received a response.

I received a call on 19/10/07 from the store who told me that the product had been returned and awaited collecting. To my surprise I was told that the product had been returned on the 20/08/07. This did not make sense as I had enquired at the store on 07/09/07 to be told it had not been returned. I had also spoken to TechGuys on 14/09/07 who had told me the laptop was still at the workshop. The product had also been written off twice since that date. I got on the phone again today and spoke to Coverplan and Techguys. The gist of the two hour communications was that the product had been repaired and written off but the report had been addressed to the wrong person. The laptop would be picked up from the store and written off properly as it had been over two months since the last time it had been given in for repair, and I will receive vouchers within the next 7-10 working days. I was told that I will only get the value of a similar specification to my laptop and the value may not be as much as I had paid. I explained that the cover was for the value of the laptop and was told to phone on Monday to discuss it once the laptop was back in the workshop.
The faults were always the same and detected as soon as I received the laptop back but I could not report them immediately as phoning and arranging pickup was extremely time consuming.
I apologise for the length of this post and hope that it is clear. Following my experiences I am sceptical as to whether I will see a satisfactory result in the near future and would like to do the right thing in bringing this situation to a satisfactory end. Any advice on this issue will be most appreciated.

marwab 21:13 25 Oct 2007

FE

>> What make is it? <<

Get a bloody grip you idiot. Have you been on the ale?

ajm 21:44 25 Oct 2007

Pls mind your language; its not necessary here.

The FE asked a perfectly valid question: there was no mention of the make of the laptop in the first posting. You may be intelligent to a certain extent if you think that having a particular nickname has any relevance to the post in question!

I think a apology is in order.

Totally-braindead 22:01 25 Oct 2007

ajm he does actually say in the first line of his post that the laptop is a Toshiba. He doesn't mention the model but he clearly states the make.

marwab I have to agree theres no call for calling anyone an idiot. When you look at lots of posts its perfectly easy to miss one word in a post and that doesn't make you an idiot.
I too think an apology is in order.

Hopefully the FE will give some of his usual good advice as the poor sadtoshiba does appear to have given a right run around.

spuds 22:16 25 Oct 2007

The opening address clearly states Toshiba, perhaps marwab, before making an offensive remark you might have read the thread fully 'O)

Forum Editor 22:23 25 Oct 2007

the mention of a Toshiba in your opening post - it can happen when you have three forum sections open on three screens at once, and you're responding to two threads at the same time. I promise to try harder in future.

As for you, marwab, I'm sorry that you had to leave our forum for good, so soon after joining us. Perhaps they'll appreciate your particular brand of rudeness in some other forum.

ajm 22:43 25 Oct 2007

I must admit, I did miss the TOSHIBA in the first line. However, the remarks made by marwab was inappropriate.

ajm 22:44 25 Oct 2007

FE: You MUST get a couple more of these 22" Samsung TFT - one for each forum section!! We can meet up at the local PCW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?