XP

sooety 17:47 02 Sep 2003

I have been with 98 SE for quite a while now but I understand that Microsoft is pulling out there support of it.

Would I be better off with XP and what are some of the basic differences or stay with the one I am happy with?

accord 17:57 02 Sep 2003

there are numerous threads on this subject, search for xp in the helproom forum.

i have been on xp for nearly a year now and its far far better than 98. can you tell what a blue screen of death is coz i have seen one since upgrading??? everything is more stable and more organised. go for it, you wont regret it.

Barrie_G 18:08 02 Sep 2003

if you are running an older computer that came with 98SE preinstalled I would advise you to do and online compatability test first just to check that it is going to be ok with all your hardware.

click here to download the file its big though 50mb.

Stuartli 20:59 02 Sep 2003

I had no problems with any of my hardware and peripherals using XP after the big changeover from Win98SE - in fact XP normally installs any drivers required itself without prompting....:-)

SheffieldSpy 09:05 03 Sep 2003

I'm running Windows XP as an upgrade from Windows 98SE. I have 128mb of RAM, which dissapears very quickly. The operating system on its own takes 70-80MB of memory. The P3 450MHz that I have isn't really powerful enough for it.

SheffieldSpy 09:13 03 Sep 2003

The compatibility program can be useless. It gave me a list of 6 hardware devices which it says wouldn't work, but they did. Yet some software it gave a clean bill of health doesn't work or install.

Stuartli 09:28 03 Sep 2003

I have a (now modest) 400MHz Celeron and 256MB of RAM (just upgraded this week from 128MB).

XP has always worked perfectly well with either combination of the Celeron and 128MB or 256MB although admittedly, as would be expected, it is faster with the larger supply of RAM.

MALLET 20:52 04 Sep 2003

I upgraded from 98se to xp home and only had a problem with Nortons System works 2001. Some of my software is quite old and designed for w95 but they all work perfectly. I must be luck !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?