Wots the best DVD burner to get?

Infamous 18:18 02 Jan 2004

Just wondering wot advice i could get for wot dvd writer to get. Was thinking of purchasing one very soon. Looking for reliability and speed and look of the drive to match with my Case and 8x burning speed.

Spec
AMD 2100+
512 pc2700
120 gig wd
201 coolermaster case
ati 9000 pro 128 meg

Demora 18:31 02 Jan 2004

I just bought the Lite-On 8x +/- DVD-R/RW from PC World and maybe I could have got it cheaper elsewhere BUT it was there, I had the money and I didn't want to wait for postage etc. only done cds because I only fitted it yesterday. Seems good to me though.

Pioneer are good I believe too.

Heard one or two stories about Sony the put me off a bit. BUT then Sony have a good reputation sooooo......

Demora

Infamous 18:39 02 Jan 2004

Thanks, just wondering was there anything i need to know about the type of burner to get for example the + and -, i was thinking of either getting a plextor, sony, pioneer. but i heard a few bad things about sony about there build quality has dropped. But the sony looks good too with a silver front.

Demora 11:46 03 Jan 2004

Yes Make sure its dual ie +/- because its like the old betamax/VHS thing years ago. Pioneer have a great reputation I believe. My cousin has had one for 12 months now and no trouble.

click here

I think theres a link on that site for a report on one of the Pioneers. (under hardware then find dvds and clik the link

Demora

Demora 11:49 03 Jan 2004

click here

the review is on the OEM model A06 Pioneer

Demora

Infamous 12:52 03 Jan 2004

Thanks for the info, i will look for pioneer dvd thats 8x speed. i do have a pioneer dvd slot on my pc already and its worked ok but it due for a replacement soon because its starting to stop read some cds'.

leo49 13:06 03 Jan 2004

From yesterday's Blankdiscshop[SVP]newsletter:

"DVD Writers:

Pioneer have stopped production of the Pioneer 106, and the Pioneer 107 will be available at the end of this month. It will feature 8x +/- writing.

NEC will have their 8x +/- writer out in the next few days. We expect stock on Tuesday 7th. Price should be approx 99.00

The release of these new 8x +/- writers should help to push down the price of any 4x +/- writers.

Mr.Scoobs 18:59 03 Jan 2004

Blankdiscshop[SVP]
these guys are very good and quite cheap too. there factory is in the same town as me. i remember when they first started out the bloke had a small setup in his room then he got a little shop in town, now he has a great big warehouse

Demora 00:53 04 Jan 2004

SVP/Blankdisc shop are really great. I go to collect my stuff from the a mear 20+miles south of em. NEVER had to take anything back. They are friendly and helpful too.

Demora

D-P-R 01:57 04 Jan 2004

I think this one Pioneer DVR-106 DVD+-R/RW Recordable click here
For more info on it and a list of tried and compatible media click here

1514 12:29 04 Jan 2004

Try Aldi's on Thursday. A "+/-" DVD burner for £79:99p A 160Gb Ext HD £120

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?