Worthless John Lewis parts and labour guarantee. Issue with damaged screen

KevReynolds 16:42 12 Feb 2015

Hello all was wondering if anyone could advise me.

I purchased a HP laptop in 2012 from John Lewis. It was "ex-display" and had a good discount. There was one or two marks on the laptop as you might expect but the discount reflected this. I was also offered a 3 year parts and labour warranty which made me think that any issues with the laptop being ex-display should not be an issue.

Over the last number of months the screen had started to play up with some horizontal lines going across the top. It does still come on but takes some time to do so.

I decided to take the laptop in as it should be covered under this 3 year guarantee offered. This however does not appear to be the case. John Lewis have come back very quickly and claimed that their quote "engineer" says the damage is not to do with manufacturing defect. I am at a loss with this as I have always looked after the laptop and it has never been mistreated.

I challenged this issue and was send a useless photo which appears to show some kind of miniscule crack. I have also explained that the laptop was ex-display so I'm wondering if this damage could have been on the laptop when I purchased it.

The response to this is below:

Further to our recent e-mail regarding your Hewlett Packard laptop, I am writing update you with our engineers response.

Our engineers have advised they are unable to confirm exactly how long the damage to the LCD has been present, however, they have been able to say with certainty that if the crack had been present since the time of purchase the visual anomaly would be much greater.

I understand that you are unhappy with our report. We recommend having the unit returned and having it inspected by an independent accredited engineer. If another engineer can confirm that the damage to the LCD has been caused by a manufacturing/inherent fault, or they can confirm this damage has been present since before the time of purchase we will fully reimburse you for the repair and the report.

If you would like to proceed with the repair we will require payment of £145.00 inclusive of VAT, labour and Freight.

Once this payment has been made we will notify our repair agents who will then continue with the repair and have your unit returned.

This to me seems to be complete and utter rubbish. Has anyone got any advice?

wee eddie 17:19 12 Feb 2015

It doesn't sound like rubbish to me.

I feel for you but if there were a small crack on the screen when you bought it, any resultant damage would been likely to have shown up shortly after.

Most likely, the crack has been caused by an unrecorded dunt while in your possession. Sad but difficult to prove that it was not.

Screen damage and broken Charging Ports must be the two most common forms of laptop damage there are and so easy to miss their actual occurance that many people think that they must be a manufacturing fault.

KevReynolds 17:28 12 Feb 2015

Hi thanks for the reply. There was actually a blemish or some kind of indent on the screen when I got it but screen worked okay. Over recent months the screen started having lines across from the top. I have not mistreated the laptop.

My issue is the laptop could have been damaged in-store. As basically a in-store demo laptop is second hand. I fail to see how John Lewis can exclude this issue with such a degree of certainty.

I certainly would not buy a ex-demo laptop again as clearly the guarantee is not worth the paper it's printed on in the case of John Lewis.

morddwyd 19:23 12 Feb 2015

Sorry, but I think they have given a pretty reasonable response.

You say the damage was there on purchase, they say it wasn't, but they are willing to abide by a second, independent, opinion.

Not unreasonably, they want you to pay for this independent examination, but will reimburse you should the decision go against them.

This is a much better response than you would get from most retailers.

KevReynolds 20:19 12 Feb 2015

It is completely unreasonable. If they want to behave in this way then they should not sell these ex demo laptops from the store. The argument presented by John Lewis that the so called engineer (more likely a technician "have been able to say with certainty that if the crack had been present since the time of purchase the visual anomaly would be much greater".

This is total complete rubbish and is an entirely subjective response. They are happy to sell these display laptops that have taken a good beating in the store over a period of months but when you come in with a problem your basically told to clear off.

As for you idea that this is a much better response than you would get from most retailers. Anyone who produced an independent report from an engineer would have a reasonable case to be compensated. The issue is all the onus is being put upon me to prove that this laptop could have been damaged when purchased. They were happy to sell me the demo laptop with all the premises an "do not worry" you have the John Lewis guarantee.

I also note a case in the daily mail at the weekend similar type of nonsense where woman just fobbed off. They should not sell ex-demo models then if there is some minor issue they just 100% blame the customer. Where was the engineer examination before the laptop was sold to me second hand and a shop demo? If they are going to behave like this the model should be examined by an expert before it is sold.

Link to story showing old woman scammed by John Lewis: click here

morddwyd 09:35 13 Feb 2015

"he argument presented by John Lewis that the so called engineer (more likely a technician "have been able to say with certainty that if the crack had been present since the time of purchase the visual anomaly would be much greater". "

Now you're proceeding on a different premise altogether, that John Lewis are lying when they refer to an "engineer".

In that sort of mood I doubt you will ever reach an agreement.

Your best bet is to deploy your own independent engineer and seek redress through the Small Claims Court.

John Lewis won't want that sort of publicity and mat well settle.

Batch 17:27 13 Feb 2015

I've never tried it myself ('cos I'm not a member of the twitterati), but , seemingly, businesses can be more (positively) responsive if one posts the issue on their twitter feed (due to the fact that it is actively in the public domain and they don't want the bad publicity).

Gordon Freeman 11:23 15 Feb 2015

So you bought a demo laptop in 2012. 3 years later you're having screen problems. You think this should be covered under guarantee.

I know from personal experience that even if you'd purchased the laptop from new, from any supplier, the guarantee would not cover screen damage.

Time to replace the screen at your own cost I'm afraid, & in future consider your purchases more wisely. Caveat emptor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?