Worth Upgrading or new PC?

Craigrg 11:28 01 Jun 2008

Hi

I would like some advice about upgrading my current system, if I can delay having to buy a new pc for a while I will be happy. Ideally I would like to be able to play Age of Conan and the odd other game.

recommended for AoC
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz (E6600) or better
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7950GX2 or better
RAM: 2GB or more

I will have to add more ram and definitely need a new gfx card

My pc at the moment
AMD 64 3500+
Asus A8v deluxe mobo
1Gb ram
500Gb Hdd
128Mb Sapphire 9550

Found this card click here
(unsure how to link properly)
not sure if it would be suitable

please ask questions if ive missed something out

thank you in advance for any help

Craigrg 11:31 01 Jun 2008

ok creates link automatically :)

Armchair 11:48 01 Jun 2008

That card you linked to is the best chipset available for AGP (your 9550 is AGP, right? It isn't PCIe?), but this one is essentially the same and £15 cheaper.

click here

Your CPU is a bit long in the tooth, although another 1GB of RAM and that card would certainly give your gaming capability an almighty boost.

spuds 11:59 01 Jun 2008

Having upgraded an number of computers, I tend to find that in the long term, the upgrade can have expensive limitations, and it might be wiser to seek quotations for a new machine, which will or should provide certain guarantees.

Compatibility of new with old components can bring issues that a warranty might not resolve.This could also lead to added costs. So if you are going to upgrade, make sure that the supplier will resolve any issues of incompatibility if you have to return goods.The same thing applies to the remaining components like the motherboard specifications, new with old may bring possible strains in certain areas.Not saying it will, but best to have this in mind from the start.

Armchair 12:04 01 Jun 2008

Aye, you might be better off starting anew, and your power supply may or may not be up to the job of running a card like that.

Craigrg 12:14 01 Jun 2008

ok thanks for the advice ill bear that in mind and yes its AGP. I would like to get a new system, its just the
cost im thinking about as it wouldnt get replaced for a few years so would have to be reasonably high spec to start with

Craigrg 12:15 01 Jun 2008

what would you recommend as a minimum spend for a new pc for fairly decent gaming capabilities?

Totally-braindead 12:58 01 Jun 2008

I think the 3850 is the best AGP card available at the moment. I'm kind of in the same situation as you except I have a PCIE slot and I too am considering the upgrade or new machine options.
To be honest I've been trying to decide for about a fortnight now and still haven't made up my mind.

Craigrg 13:40 01 Jun 2008

yes its a tough decision! Could I not upgrade the power supply if i can get a fairly cheap one or is it not worth going to all the trouble of trying to resurrect my current pc? Also what is the likelihood
of incompatibilities and potential problems with the
motherboard after upgrades?
Alot of questions I know but I do not know alot about these kind of things.
thankyou

GaT7 14:07 01 Jun 2008

"what would you recommend as a minimum spend for a new pc for fairly decent gaming capabilities?" - I'd say ~£400-500. And build it yourself if you can. An example only of the base system for £404:

• Case & PSU = £48 - Coolermaster Elite 330 with 460W click here
• CPU = £133 - Intel E8400 Retail click here [If on a tighter budget, any Core 2 Duo Intel CPU E4600 & above would do - they're £74 & upwards]
• Motherboard = £51 - Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G iP35 click here
• Graphics card = £109 - 8800GT 512Mb click here
• RAM = £63 - 4Gb DDR2 800Mhz RAM click here [2Gb kit sufficient if on a tighter budget]

You may have the rest of the components/sw already: like OS (needs to be retail/OEM & unused), hard+optical drives, peripherals, etc.

There are some relatively inexpensive Dells available, where a graphics card (& possibly PSU) upgrade is necessary for a capable gamimg PC. G

P.S. I'm looking for a socket-A motherboard (or CPU & AGP DDR motherboard combo) to repair my present PC, before going for something better in a few months. I also have problems deciding what to get, so may come asking for help at some point.

Craigrg 15:24 01 Jun 2008

ok thanks great help, was thinking of doing a build myself and that kind of budget would be good

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?