Woolworths are ...

Technotiger 18:30 10 Dec 2008

having their Final 'Everything must go' sale starting tomorrow 11 Dec. before being shut-down!

rdave13 18:46 10 Dec 2008

A sad day.

Technotiger 18:56 10 Dec 2008

Agreed - I used to love the unique aroma of Woolworths which no other shop has, reminds me of my childhood, just after the war.

g0nvs 19:50 10 Dec 2008

Perhaps an improvement in customer service might have helped them. Very few staff in my local Woolies. last week waited fifteen minutes to get served due to only one assistant manning the checkouts.

laurie53 20:41 10 Dec 2008

For tens of thousands of my generation Woolies was the original one stop shop.

It was your first port of call on a Saturday for everything from collar studs to nails to rose bushes.

Bought my first after shave in Woolies!

Only when Woolies didn't have it did you look elsewhere.

Sadly, others started doing it better.

Technotiger 10:06 11 Dec 2008

Still, there will no doubt be a few bargain hunters out there today ......... giving this the Green tick.

Thanks for all contributions - Merry Christmas!!

Arnie 14:21 12 Dec 2008

Are they back to nothing over sixpence (2.5p)?

Merry Christmas to you and everyone else.

Technotiger 15:07 12 Dec 2008

I went to our local Woollies this morning - what a con!! Great big signs everywhere saying 50% off - Ha, up close the signs mostly said 10% or 20%, I did not actually see anything at 50% off! I bought a couple of PC games and got a £1 of one and £2 off the other! Used to get the same 'savings' on a normal day.

red1977 16:03 12 Dec 2008

The signs actually said up to 50% off, like most sales signs do. So no con there really, just not a very good sale.

Technotiger 18:04 12 Dec 2008

Yes, of course they did, I should have said that .... but still a con! I did not see anything at 50% off, unless it was all sold on the first day, but if that really was the case, then they should have taken the signs down!

Arnie 19:43 12 Dec 2008

"The signs actually said up to 50% off"

I wouldn't argue with that, but did you notice the tiny print at the top right hand corner of the sign?

This is the same con that the petrol companies used a few years ago.
Thankfully the law was changed to show the fractions of pence met a reasonable size compared with the preceding £ units.

For example:£2.75 {large letters), point 9p
(tiny letters), a gallon.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?