Wireless Router

bear73 08:46 10 Apr 2007

Hi

I am about to buy a wireless router and thought I would seek some advice first. We currently have a desktop pc upstairs and are now getting one for downstairs too. I currently use Tiscali Broadband and my husband thinks if we want to link the two pc's we have to get the router from Tiscali - is this right?

Tiscali have two on their website:

Thomson Speedtouch 716WL ADSL+ Wireless Router with Integrated VoIP - £89.98

Thomson Speedtouch 585 54M Wireless ADSL2+ Router - £59.98

Can anyone advise what I should be looking for when I buy a router, I have no idea about the differences between them.

Many thanks
bear

wee eddie 09:59 10 Apr 2007

Is that they will support those items with an advice line. Take their advice on which is most suitable.

Just a piece of advice, which will give you an idea if the expected positions of your 2 PCs will work as wireless connections.

Using a cordless telephone > put the Base Station where your Router will sit > Try the Telephone where the receiving PC is going to be. Although this is not infallible, if the telephone signal won't reach that point, it is unlikely that the Router will either.

wee eddie 10:02 10 Apr 2007

What I left out is that you will almost certainly be able to buy such equipment elsewhere.

However, that Helpline if it exists, could well make up for the small saving you might make elsewhere.

LAP 18:55 10 Apr 2007

My story.... Many moons ago when we got our BT wireless router to go with our BT line, I purchased 2 Philips wireless adaptors one for each of us. Could I get them to work..NO. The instructions might as well have been in Chinese. I called the Philips help line they stated "Can't help you, cos you ain't got a Philips router. The same happened with BT. Exchanged the adaptors for BT one's. No need for a help line, they worked!

My story: get the kit from one place.

Dipso 22:01 10 Apr 2007

Firstly you don't have to buy from Tiscali so I would shop around to check if the prices are competitive.

These are very good routers though. I have the 780WL but previously I was using the 585.

The 716WL as far as I am aware has now been replaced by the 780WL. The only difference between this one and the 585 is that it allows Voice Over Internet Protocol VOIP, so you can connect up to two telephones to the router and make calls over the net after signing up to a suitable provider se.g. Sipgate. If you don't think you would use this buy the 585.

Don't know if you need a wireless adapter but you can get the router bundled with an adapter for the same price as Tiscali from click here.

Strawballs 22:29 10 Apr 2007

You do not need to buy from Tiscali any one of these will do click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?