Wireless networking kit?

Rebecca* 21:53 01 Oct 2004

Hi all,
I want network 2 comps both Win XP. Don't know much about networking so thought I'd buy a kit. Anybody know of one that is good and not too pricey? Also easy to set up. Thanks for any info.
Rebecca*

georgemac 22:19 01 Oct 2004

click here

this is what I use - good value as you get the free usb adaptor. The router is connected by cable to the lan port on the main pc, and the usb wireless adaptor allows the other pc to share internet connection, files etc. Also has a built in ADSL modem, and must see the adsl broadband connection before anything else will work, so only any use to you if you have got broadband. Easy to set up.

Rebecca* 22:25 01 Oct 2004

That looks ok georgemac. Would I need anything else or just that? I am on Wanadoo broadband.
Thanks for the info.

keenan 22:41 01 Oct 2004

'Ditto'

Good piece of kit and easy setup and with the 'free'
wireless card it was a bargain..IMHO

Go for it :)

keenan 22:46 01 Oct 2004

The first pc is wired direct to router (cable supplied)
and the second will connect wirelessly via the usb adaptor,( or in my case wireless laptop card).

Rebecca* 22:51 01 Oct 2004

Thanks might give it a go then.
Rebecca*

Sir Radfordin 23:20 01 Oct 2004

Word of warning - have used this router with 3 computers connected using the Netgear USB adaptors and have had endless problems. One router was replaced as Netgear diagnosed a fault. The network continues to be up and down all day long with no cause obvious...and I'd like to think I knew a bit about networking!

Rebecca* 23:25 01 Oct 2004

Any suggestions on a better one then Sir Radfordin? Because seems to be an endless list of products out there. Thanks

Forum Editor 00:20 02 Oct 2004

because I have also been having a great deal of trouble with the same Netgear router. I use it on my home-office wireless network of four machines. I'm constantly having to reboot the router as it suddenly and randomly stops transmitting. I'm shortly going to replace it with the Linksys router that I used (without any trouble) before.

keenan 00:54 02 Oct 2004

Just a thought.

On the two home networks i,ve installed I have found that the use of the'Microwave' seems to have coincided with them to stop transmitting occasionally.
However hav'nt experienced any problems with the three office installations,which are all gaining access using the'netgear WG511T' PC card via laptops.

georgemac 07:23 02 Oct 2004

Rebecca, one dat this week I had problems with the router where for no apparent reason the wireless access light would go out and I could not communicate from my own pc, but a power off/on of the router fixed it. Happened 4 times in one day, but has been perfect since.

You would not need anything else. I bought it because of the free adaptor offer. Set up is straightforward, I too am wanadoo broadband.

If you have XP SP2, I found the firewall had to be disabled completely or it gave me problems getting connected from the 2nd PC.

The router has a hardware firewall anyway, and I also use sygate personal firewall, no problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?