Wireless Networking.

XP Medic 06:41 14 Jul 2005

I have broadband and with to be able to share my connection with my laptop.

I am not sure what's the best configuration. Do I go with a router or an adsl router. Friends have told me that if I go for a router I will have to configure the connection all the time as I don't have my pc on all the time, but having an adsl wireless router you don't have this problem. Is configuring the connection each time a long process or a simple process?

Also what else do I need? My laptop is wireless ready apparently.

As you can guess I am new to networking, infact I can honestly say I know nothing about it, so any information and advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in anticipation

georgemac © 06:59 14 Jul 2005

I don't know about a router, but can definitely recommend a wireless adsl router. Make sure though when you set it up, follow the instructions to secure your network using wep.

click here is the one I have been using for friends lately, and I have managed to log in and set up the router wirelessly without using a LAN cable

TomJerry 09:14 14 Jul 2005

adsl router IS a router with adsl modem build-in.

Both will do the same job. If your adsl modem do not have ethernet (lan, network) connection port, you need to buy a adsl wireless router (basically, a wireless router with adsl modem build-in) because all router connect to modem by lan port, NOT usb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?