Wireless ADSL modem router

Rigga 21:14 09 Mar 2006

Hi all,

I currently have a linksys wag54g ADSL wireless router. Which is playing up, and generally being very flaky.

I have spoken to linksys who will replace the router, but it will take ten days for the replacement to arrive. I cannot be without my home network and internet connection for that amount of time. So going by the advice given by linksys support, I am looking to buy a new router.

To this end, I would like some others experience / advice about a new router.

I require a router that has all the basic functions, at least 4 wired connections, wireless 802.11g, firewall, wireless encryption etc..

I have looked at various routers from belkin and netgear, but none have the specific information about the specifications that I require. I need a router that either has a built in VPN server/tunnel like my current wag54g. Or preferably a router that will allow me to setup several ip addresses to be allowed through the firewall.

Does anyone have any experience of routers that have the above functions?

Thanks in advance, R.

ade.h 22:48 09 Mar 2006

I use a Belkin 7632, which has been faultless for the whole of the last four months. It was a cinch to set up in about 5 minutes and those that I have set up for other people have also been perfect. Security takes another 5 mins.

Please avoid the new 7633 version at this early stage - its first firmware is a bit flaky.

Harpur 22:53 09 Mar 2006

i also have the belkin wireless modem/router. it has the 4 connectors you need and very simply setup

Sir Radfordin 00:05 10 Mar 2006

Not sure about the VPN stuff but of the wireless routers that I've setup/used the most reliable one has been the D-Link one - sorry don't know the model. My Linksys sounds about as good as yours!

Had a netgear model that needed to be rebooted nearly every day to establish an internet connection. Having said that the last Netgear I set up does seem to have been more stable.

Don't know if that helps or not but it sums up my experience!

Rigga 08:59 10 Mar 2006

Thanks all, for the replies,

I am mainly interested in the VPN / firewall IP passthrough functionality, and without buying each router in turn and testing them out personally, I thought some of you out there would have access to various ADSL router/modems and could check the security pages for vpn / firewall ip passthrough.

I'll leave this open for a few more days, then I guess I'll have to start buying / returning routers, until I find what I need.

Thanks again. R.

pifko 22:58 11 Mar 2006

Netgear GS834G Wireless ADSL router. Only had one problem when setting this baby up...And it wasn't the routers fault. To cut a short story even shorter, my desktop had been supplied with a terrible NIC lol.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?