To wire or not wire .....

Fillymouskwitz 13:31 21 Jan 2005

Dear All

I have just had BT Yahoo Broadband 1mb service activated ta my home and wanted a little advice if you had the time.

I have an X Box and a PC and would like to connect both to the broadband. The X Box is located pretty much next to the phone line so connection should be fairly simple (he says !). However the PC is located quite a distance away so I was looking into possible wireless solutions. For a complete dullarrd, what would you reccomend for me to connect the PC to broadband (as well as Xbox) ?

Regards

FM

LeadingMNMs 14:31 21 Jan 2005

The best thing to do would be to get a wireless router with in built modem and a least a single ethernet port. Then all you need to do is connect the XP via ethernet (I assume, have no idea how it connects) and install a wireless card in the PC.

bfoc 15:39 21 Jan 2005

A wireless router which has one ethernet port and it works well, I have my main machine 'wired' (the wire was already there from when I had broadband installed) and then others in the house use wireless.

I have also installed various wireless routers which have had upto 4 ethernet ports and they have all worked fine.

It can sometimes take a little while to set up at first, but the two helplines I have had to use (Actiontec and Kcorp) were excellent.

Once set up they work fine, the most I have had to do on one is reset the router from time time by switching it off and on!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?