Windows XP security to get much tighter

TOPCAT® 16:26 31 Mar 2004

with the release of SP2 which, according to this article, will be at the end of June 2004. TC.

Quote:

'Microsoft is preparing an update to Windows XP that is intended to make the operating system more secure. Dubbed Service Pack 2 (SP2) the update will close some loopholes that virus writers and malicious hackers have exploited to infect or take over PCs.

The add-on for XP will also include extras that block pop-up ads by default and give users a clearer picture of how secure their system is.

The update is due to be finished and released to users by the end of June...'

click here

Forum Editor 18:21 31 Mar 2004

for some time now, and can confirm that it's an excellent update. I've just taken part in a Microsoft online discussion for beta testers of the SP2 code, and most people agree - it's a very welcome addition to WinXP.

It will be interesting to see what our forum members think about it when it goes public in a couple of months or so.

fuzzyone 18:48 31 Mar 2004

Is there a definite file size for SP2.?

obbit 18:51 31 Mar 2004

it will turn on the XP firewall by default. thats a problem when zone alarm is present. looks like i will turn it off again. just hope i don't have to keep turning it off every time i boot up!!

powerless 19:41 31 Mar 2004

click here

273MB.

[BE safe: Wait for final release]

SP2: A welcomed update from this users view.

Methinks the server is a little busy right now - even with a 1mbps connection I am told 38 hours 20 minutes remaining.......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?