Windows XP price

WillyDR 13:11 24 Feb 2006

I'm living on Belgium and I see that there are considerable differences in price for the Windows (Home)XP pack:

Dixons: 159 Pounds or +- 233 Euros
Vendors in Belgium: 280 to 320 Euros
Amazon.com: 192 USD or +- 160 Euros

Is there any difference in product, i.e. in Windows Home XP, so that f.i. a pack ordered at Amazon.com is not usable here in Europe ? If it is the same one, why not order the cheapest ones?

Diodorus Siculus 14:14 24 Feb 2006

I used to spend a lot of time in Belgium and found it an expensive country for technology. Any branch of Fnac that I visited seemed to have prices way above their £sterling equivalent - whether I was looking for ink cartridges, software, cameras, laptops or whatever - they all seemed to be at a premium.

Similarily, smaller independant (?) shops were fairly expensive.

To answer your question, there is no reason not to buy from Amazon.com other than the fact that they may not deliver to you.

On occasion I used Amazon.de for purchases that I could not wait to return home before making a purchase.

dmc727 14:38 24 Feb 2006

Also, even if posted by Amazon US, there is the question of VAT.

Don’t know what the situation is in Belgium but anything over about £18 imported here to the UK from outside the EU is subject to this charge.

May not make it worthwhile in the end.

terryf 22:09 25 Feb 2006

Where ever you buy consider that if you buy a small piece of hardware as well you can legally buy an OEM version that is exactly the same as the retail but usually cheaper.

Mr Mistoffelees 22:17 25 Feb 2006

There is no longer a requirement to buy hardware.

SG Atlantis® 22:20 25 Feb 2006

actually terryf that is now completely wrong. You don't need to buy any hardware, but OEM must only be installed on a brand new computer. According to what I've read it's the motherboard that denotes a new computer.

My local store is advertising:

windows xp home edition single user licensing £65
windows xp home edition system integration only £65

both are £65 but I am curious as to the difference, infact what the latter of the two actually is?

Mr Mistoffelees 22:27 25 Feb 2006

"According to what I've read it's the motherboard that denotes a new computer."

Apparently Microsoft have decided that the motherboard is the heart of the computer.

spuds 14:18 26 Feb 2006

I am in the market for another XP programme, and Ebuyer click here seems the favourite for the cheapest price at the moment.

Whether the warranty is transferable or the product delivery to a Belgium customer is possible, then this may need clarification.

Forum Editor 14:26 26 Feb 2006

And they're right, aren't they?

Mr Mistoffelees 14:39 26 Feb 2006

Well you certainly can't build a pc without one!

Diodorus Siculus 15:53 26 Feb 2006

I'd have thought that the motherboard was either the skeleton or the nervous system rather than the heart :-)

The CPU is the brain and the case is the skin, keeping it all in.

There is even an argument for saying that RAM is the heart, and that keeps circulation going.

The exhaust fans have their obvious analogies too :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Musique en streaming : Spotify vs Deezer