Windows Live OneCare Beta 1.5

Newuser38 22:49 09 Oct 2006

I have just been notified that this is available today.

"What Windows Live OneCare does for you.
• Runs quietly in the background, providing anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall protection
• Activates Phishing Filter in Internet Explorer 7 to help block or warn against identity theft or online scams

• Updates itself to help you keep ahead of the latest threats
• Runs regular tune-ups to help optimize the performance of your PC
• Provides one-click resolutions for any actions that you may need to take

• Makes backups to a variety of devices a breeze
• Lets you see the status of your system at a glance

In which countries can I use Windows Live OneCare?
Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, UK, US.

What operating systems are supported?
Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista (build 5500 or greater; recommended build is 5600 aka RC1). OneCare is currently not available for x64 operating systems.."

Having just spent money on updating virus,firewall etc I dont think I will download it for the main machines because of conflict of programs but I will give it a try on Vista. Any one else going to try it this time.?

Forum Editor 23:03 09 Oct 2006

is sending invitations to download the software, and anyone who accepts should bear in mind that this is a beta version.

spuds 23:27 09 Oct 2006

This might be of interest, regarding the future possibilities of OneCare click here

Forum Editor 23:39 09 Oct 2006

and has been the subject of a good deal of discussion over the past week or so.

Any move by Microsoft to exclude or limit competition in the vital area of computer security will badly damage the company's image, and is bound to impact on Vista's immediate post-launch success.

birdface 08:24 10 Oct 2006

I have used Windows One Care,Don,t know if it was the beta 1.5. All I can say was it was a excellent program,Does all it say's.Unfortunately I had a problem with it and decided to erase it,When I tried to download it again,It said that my trial period was over and i would have to pay.I would have paid,But at the time was not allowed in UK.If this is a new trial version.I will give it a try,

ventanas 08:45 10 Oct 2006

I've got an invite as well, but am concerned that if I try it, it will clash with other av already installed. So like Newuser38, will leave it alone for now. I can't use IE7 anyway because I have certain IE toolbars that don't know what it is, causing all sorts of problems.

ayrmail 20:57 10 Oct 2006

I used 1care for 8 or 9 months and found it very good, but I found the support from MS even better, I had to remove it not long after I installed it and in removing it I found that XP’s own firewall would not work. The support service precise and fixed the issue after a few emails. I have used the support services of MS on a few occasion now and would recommend it if you haven’t tried it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?