Windows 7 Upgrade Offers Misleading?

Taff™ 07:56 01 Aug 2009

I`ve noticed quite a few e-mails from well known companies that are promoting reduced price computers at the moment and when you follow their e-mail links you end up at the product page with a fairly prominent ""Windows 7 Upgrade Offer" button. For example click here

Unfortunately the laptop in question uses Vista Basic and is not eligible for the upgrade. If you click on the upgrade link you will see what I mean. A Big Bold statement "Buy any Vista*-based computer or Vista* software NOW and get
an upgrade to Windows 7 on release day!"

Did you notice the asterix - scroll down to the small print.......

I wonder how many people who are not as knowledgeable as some of us on these forums would
assume the original offering was upgradeable for free?

Forum Editor 08:17 01 Aug 2009

but to be fair the link that says 'How to upgrade your computer' does take you to a page that displays a clear statement that to qualify for the upgrade you must "Buy any computer with Vista Premium, Business or Ultimate".

On balance I believe that the marketing text might mislead a few people initially, but clicking on the links provided would leave you in no doubt.

Taff™ 09:35 01 Aug 2009

I can`t argue with that but the point is that we both know what products are upgradable and my concern is for those people who perhaps have never bought a laptop or computer before - would they go two pages deep into the website to find the information? Even if they did, would they remember (or even notice) that the original offering was Vista Home Basic or even know what the difference was to Premium?

There are a lot of e-tailers out there offering Vista Home Basic on their cheapest laptops and in my experience the general public don`t actually know what "Basic" means. They see Vista and assume thats the current Windows OS and then look at the price and assume they`ve got a bargain, which of course they have, providing they don`t want the features of Premium or a free upgrade to Windows 7.

spuds 11:22 01 Aug 2009

I agree with your comments, and in the past the same type of marketing as happened before, and not only with Microsoft products.

It can get very confusing, and know doubt further comments will be made on this subject, perhaps within this forum.

Perhaps buyer beware is a factor here!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?