Is Windows 7 any good?

Jonah(without the whale) 09:04 13 May 2010

I am now considering buying a new laptop. Looking around I find that it looks like it's going to be difficult to get anything unless it's got Windows 7 on it. (Ideally I want a Toshiba by the way).
A friend is currently having compatibility problems with Wndows 7. I have checked out reveiws but most that I have found are around a year old. So my question is, in May 2010, is Windows 7 any good?
I am curently using XP and like that system, but if I can only get Wondows 7 I guess I'll be stck with it. That said, if peole who have been using 7 says it's OK then I'll go for it. I would likwe to make one thing clear though. I want a machine that I will not need to spend time messing about with technical stuff that I don't understand!
Any advice and (polite) suggestions, would be appeciated.

961 09:15 13 May 2010

I've been using Windows since it first appeared as 3.1, each new edition usually within 6 months of its appearance

I can honestly say, with one caveat, that Windows 7 installed on a new machine works like a dream and I would have no hesitation in recommending it as safe, fit for purpose, and much ahead of XP

The caveat is that I deliberately chose to buy a machine with Windows 7 32 bit for the reason that most software and drivers for things like printers are still very 32 bit. In a couple of years this will probably change but in the meanwhile you will find that most machines built for the business market are 32 bit. It's true that many machines for the consumer market are 64 bit but I decided to stick with the 32 bit spec that the business market still prefers

If you go to the Dell site, for example, you'll find the consumer models at the top of the site are all 64 bit, but the link for business models at the bottom of the page takes you to models which are 32 bit

If you read the threads on the Windows 7 forum you'll see time and again that 64 bit configurations do have trouble with drivers which take sorting out initially, whereas 32 bit machines go out of the box without trouble

Pine Man 09:19 13 May 2010

Like you I have been going since Windows 3.11 with DOS 6.22 and changed to every new o/s as it came out.

My present PC is about 3 years old and was set up for Vista, which I got on with very well BUT changing to Windows 7 (definitely 32bit) was amazing. Certainly the best o/s to date and one of the easiest to install.

HondaMan 09:21 13 May 2010

And not only drivers. Some applications will either not run or install under 64-bit and you hasve to use compatability mode or virtual machine.

Mine is running 64-bit with 8GB memory and it is slower than my old XP 32-bit machine. I am seriously considering downgrading to Win7 Pro 32-bit

bremner 10:33 13 May 2010

You clearly have something wrong and it is unlikley to be the fault of W7.

You sya you have 8GB of RAM but what about the processor, is that up to the job.

chub_tor 11:47 13 May 2010

I have recently changed from Win7 32bit to Win7 64 bit and had no problems with hardware drivers or software. The machine runs just as fast and does give me full use of my 4Gb RAM. And Win7 is much more stable than any of the earlier versions of Windows.

ronalddonald 11:55 13 May 2010

ive still got xp but i use linux mint 8. my broadband is faster on linux and i hardly have ny problems using linux whereas xp has been a pain in the ha ha at times

diegowardd 12:18 13 May 2010

That's a matter of opinion. If, by better, you mean "like Windows 95 but more stable and better graphics" then no. Personally, I happen to like it. That blatant rip-off of Mac OS X's dock is much more organized than the old taskbar, the action center is a great way to get rid of a lot of the icons in the tray (by the clock).
click here

Estuary 14:06 13 May 2010

" is Windows 7 any good? "

Yes!

MAT ALAN 15:16 13 May 2010

There is good and bad in any O/S, it will depend on whether you are suited to "it".
Go to a PC store and have a drive around one of the display units...

click here
having said that you can still buy XP lappy's if ya look hard enough...

Graham. 16:25 13 May 2010

My Windows 7 is no good, it's in the desk drawer. I didn't like it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?