Will this upgrade be suitable.

cruiser2 14:32 31 Dec 2013

My existing computer has an Antec Three Hundred Tower case, EZCool 650 watt PSU, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 CPU, Asus P5QL/EPU motherboard and 4GB DDR2 Corsair Dominator 800 Mhz RAM. I will be using the computer for web browsing, emails, word processing, spread sheets, video and photo editing. No gaming. This will be built by a local computer shop Budget is five hundred pounds. Want to be able to upgrade by adding new components when necessary Wou d like at least quad core PSU. Am thinking of AMD FX six core 6300 processor, *GB RAM--2x4GB. SSD card-240Kingston SAT111. I have Windows 8.1 bought as present. Monitor, mouse and keyboard will remain as now. Any comments or advice much appreciated

chub_tor 11:11 03 Jan 2014

I will be using the computer for web browsing, emails, word processing, spread sheets, video and photo editing. No gaming. if that is all you are going to use the machine for then your spec is more than adequate. However you don't mention graphics at all, if you are working with video get a decent graphics card. The number of processor cores will have no effect unless you purchase video handling software that can make use of them. For simple web browsing, emails, word processing a single core is fine - if you have spreadsheets with lots of mathematical calculations then more cores may help. Get the fastest processor you can afford and that is not necessarily the one with most cores.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?