WiFi Broadband or ADSl

cream. 22:08 02 Apr 2004

We have slowly been increasing our trigger levels to the 400 set by B.T. Last Friday we reached the target figure and I think the next hurdle is for B.T. to get in touch with every one to see which percentage will sign up for it. The enabling of the ASDL line could be weeks or months away, especially with some trigger levels been dropped.

The other factor in the equation is that Ehotspot click here have installed a transmitter in the village. There has been only a few teething problems, but generally the service has been quite good. Speeds do seem a lot better than ADSL and it has the advantage that it can be fed through a router before connection to the main P.C. This would make the WiFi connection to the two ibooks we have easier as we do not need to run the main P.C. to have them ( the ibooks) surfing.

As you may of gathered I am biased to the WiFi system.

Has any one any thoughts or experience of this setup. Or would I be better off waiting for B.T. to enable the line.

All comments gratefully received.

Forum Editor 22:26 02 Apr 2004

which system you use - you can still use a wireless router to share the connection between your two computers.

With the BT ADSL system you simply connect the router directly to the phone line. It (the router) will have its own inbuilt ADSL modem, and will make the connection each time it's turned on. Then all you have to do is provide each computer with a wireless network adapter and you have broadband access on each of them - without having to have the other computer running.

cream. 22:54 02 Apr 2004

That I did't know about, well I don't have broadband. Yet.

The small ibook has an airport card installed and can pick up the Ehotspot signal ( it comes up with username and password) without any equipment serving the house. So I would guess the node is quite close.

The set up fee of £149 and £30 a month for at least 1Mb and possibly 2Mb does seem resonable to me. Is it excessive against B.T. They (BT) seem to say that they will provide the equipment free of charge and then £30 a month.

TomJerry 23:00 02 Apr 2004

Pricewise, it is better than BT in terms montly fee, the set up is slight expensive but not much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?