Whyo will provide a laptop without an OS?

Diodorus Siculus 18:12 11 Jun 2008

My brain has forgotten... I want a laptop and am looking at Novatech but would like some other options and just can't remember who provides them...

Cheers, Dio

spuds 19:07 11 Jun 2008

Dell will provide a laptop with XP,Vista,Linux or no o/s.

Diodorus Siculus 20:32 11 Jun 2008

Thanks spuds; I didn't know Dell will do that. Is it an option on all their machines?

MAT ALAN 21:15 11 Jun 2008

click here

this may help...

spuds 17:59 12 Jun 2008

Not sure if I was jumping the gun, but recently I configured the Dell Inspiron 1525 and Inspiron 1720, and was given the options of O/S as mentioned above. Just this minute, browsing on the Dell UK website, and it now appears that this option might be for the USA market only. But looking deeper into the software issue, via Dell community forum, it would appear that refunds were possible. So it looks like an email to Dell perhaps, and see whats on offer.

Would perhaps mention that I tried to make a purchase after agreeing on a certain laptop specifications plus using voucher codes, with the Dell call centre in India. Their coding prices didn't seem match my promotion offer coding prices, so I gave up trying to strike a deal, only to have a call-back from Dell later in the day, offering a lower price. That call was to late, in the meantime I had gone to Ebuyer and purchased a laptop from them.Received the laptop the very next day.

ronalddonald 13:22 18 Jun 2008

The do lots of laptops without the OS look here click here I brought a razor form them aboiut two weeks ago with no OS. And its vey fast for my needs and its a great computer, only problem might be uograding the ram, get them to do it.

Diodorus Siculus 17:08 19 Jun 2008

That's what I figured - I couldn't find one on Dell UK but it's an option on the US site.

Thus far, Novatech seem to be the best option for me but I'm also tempted to get a HiGrade click here having read some good things about them. It comes with Vista Ultimate though and as I have a vista premium, I don't want the extra expense.

Diodorus Siculus 20:04 23 Jun 2008

Went with Novatech's Rasor Pro in the end click here ; they are a company I trust and I can now install XP / Vista as I wish without all the bloat that comes with new machines which have preinstalled software and trialware.

I've long been a fan of Novatech so am happy to stick with them.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?