Why should i buy this?

MSmall1997 22:21 04 Jul 2014

I currently have a bt home hub 3.0 with ADSL. I can only get 8 mb/s download in my area and get around 50 ping. If i was to buy this: click here

what would it actually do in terms of speeds etc?

rdave13 22:56 04 Jul 2014

Not a lot.

Check with BT if you have FTTC available to you.

Check yourself here.

alanrwood 09:58 05 Jul 2014

If you only have the ADSL connection as you state then they are "Up to 8Mb/s" so you are getting what you are supposed to get. No router can get any better so save your money.

If you actually have ADSL+ with a higher rated download speed then you need to contact BT and ask if it can be improved.

Secret-Squirrel 12:04 05 Jul 2014

" If i was to buy this............what would it actually do in terms of speeds etc?"

It won't work so it'll do nothing ;) Seriously though, you need an ADSL modem/router. The one you've linked to is just a cable router.

"I can only get 8 mb/s download in my area"

It's worth you checking what your BT "IP Profile" is. That dictates the maximum speed you're ever going to get. Have a read here on how to run the BT test and post your IP Profile results here when you've finished.

MSmall1997 14:03 05 Jul 2014

" Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.84 Mbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps. Additional Information: Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM) IP Profile for your line is - 7.15 Mbps"

Also max speed is 7.15

onthelimit1 16:08 05 Jul 2014

From the stats, you're getting the best for your location (unless infinity available, at extra cost, as rdave pointed out).

MSmall1997 16:38 05 Jul 2014

Yeah infinity will be available at the end of august. Is there anyway i can check what i will be getting in terms of speed when i get infinity ?

Secret-Squirrel 16:55 05 Jul 2014

"Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.84 Mbps..........IP Profile for your line is - 7.15 Mbps"

You're getting the best possible download speed for your profile so a better router would be a waste of money as it can't make things run any faster.

There's no harm in also checking what speed BT Wholesale predict you should be receiving so click here, enter your phone number and postcode, then click the Search button. On the next screen, click on the "BT ADSL" and "BT FTTC" (fibre broadband) links to see what speeds you can expect from your location.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?