Why do AIO Computers in the UK have lower specifications than those sold in the USA?

Baddowman 3 18:24 08 Feb 2014

I have been considering the purchase of an AIO Computer in the UK for over 6 months. However I have noticed that most producers supplying to the UK only provide AIO's with specifications lower than the USA versions of the same AIO. This is mainly in relation to processors and hard drives (mainly without solid state or hybrid in the UK). Producers that supply business and home use machines with lower specifications in the UK include Dell, HP, Lenovo, and Asus. The only producer that appears to maintain specifications worldwide is Apple. Has anyone an explanation for inferior AIO computers being sold in the UK?

morddwyd 19:38 08 Feb 2014

Because the British public are known world wide for accepting lower standards.

I can remember being in Holland and complimenting a retailer on his vegetable produce. I commented that we never saw Dutch stuff of that quality in the UK.

He replied,"Of course you wouldn't. The only stuff we send to England (sic) is what we can't sell anywhere else in Europe"

That applies to most things.

Forum Editor 15:02 09 Feb 2014

"That applies to most things"

That's a wildly sweeping statement, and it isn't true. Neither is the British public "known world wide for accepting lower standards."

Anyone who thinks that doesn't know much about international markets.

The retail computer market in Europe is different to that in America, and that's reflected in specifications. The European market is bigger than that In the USA - roughly 7% of the world's people live there, compared to 4.5% in America. There are increased levels of competition, and computer specifications may vary because of that.

Global supply chains also influence component prices.

It's far more complicated than simply saying we accept lower standards in the UK.

Woolwell 20:22 09 Feb 2014

Support Forum Editor's post.

You have to take into account the low rate of Sales Tax in USA compared to VAT in UK too.

Baddowman 3 21:41 10 Feb 2014

Thank you for the replies and comments to date. I was hoping that sale prices would not be the determining factor in the availability of higher specification AIOs desktops in the UK. Most All In One (AIO) PC's are sold at a premium when compared to a conventional desktop anyway, so I would expect to pay a significant premium. Worldwide prices are subject to many variables which are too complicated for comparison purposes. From a limited review of AIOs available in Germany they do appear to have higher specification PCs available to purchase. Competition should increase the range of specifications available, however it may be there is no significant competition between manufacturers in the UK. So for now the Apple iMac is the only computer that is sold throughout the world with the same available specifications in each market.

Forum Editor 12:54 11 Feb 2014

"it may be there is no significant competition between manufacturers in the UK."

That certainly isn't true, and I can't think of a reason why it might be - all computers are assembled from components that are generally manufactured in South East Asia. Freedom to compete in a specific market is available to all - it applies throughout the EU.

Apple specs are the same internationally because there's only one Apple. If you want to get a better appreciation of the issues involved as far as Apple is concerned take a look at this

Baddowman 3 17:30 11 Feb 2014

Thanks for the comments Forum Editor. Based on your comment that there is only one Apple and their specifications are the same internationally, why e.g. are HP specifications different in the UK than in the USA?

Baddowman 3 21:03 24 Feb 2014

I guess there is no answer to my question. I suspect though the solution is to buy a desktop PC which will have an intel i7 CPU , a 1-2 TB SSHD or SSD, and a real video card. Or I could live in Australia , New Zealand or the USA , where I could buy a HP Elite One 800 with similar hardware to the desktop described. In the UK you can only get a HP Elite One 800 with an intel i5 and a 500GB hard drive, together with integrated video. .

Baddowman 3 21:06 24 Feb 2014

I guess there is no answer to my question. I suspect though the solution is to buy a desktop PC which will have an intel i7 CPU , a 1-2 TB SSHD or SSD, and a real video card. Or I could live in Australia , New Zealand or the USA , where I could buy a HP Elite One 800 with similar hardware to the desktop described. In the UK you can only get a HP Elite One 800 with an intel i5 and a 500GB hard drive, together with integrated video. .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?