Who is responsible ~ Warranty question

wee eddie 15:28 31 Mar 2009

Lindaloo brings up an interesting point in the thread below. I am posting this in another thread as i think it requires an airing.

click here

Many Warranties, these days, are called "On Site". Frequently, when called, they will ask you to perform certain checks before they send out an Engineer, or ask for the PC to be returned to where they do the maintenance.

My question, whose answer initially appears obvious but may not be, is: If in the course of performing the requested action, further damage is done, who is responsible for the repair of that damage?

carver 16:11 31 Mar 2009

If you perform an act under the guidance of some one else and it goes wrong then it's their fault, not yours.

Dangers about removing the battery should have been explained to you before you started the work, if it was not then the fault is theirs.

They can not get away it it by saying you should have known the dangers involved, because if you had then you most likely would have refused to carry out the work.

wee eddie 16:31 31 Mar 2009

more in terms of those who had been told to re-seat Cards and change RAM chips around.

With, perhaps damage to other parts as a result of dropped screws or accidentally careless handling of the parts requested.

spuds 17:06 31 Mar 2009

I have always maintained that any warranty is for the protection and safety of the device and consumer.

We have seen on this forum many times, when a company have requested (required) a person to look at the inners of the device or try various procedures. How many times as someone questioned the on-site warranty, only to be told that a technical guy cannot be sent unless a fault finding process as been undertaken by the consumer, who perhaps in all eventualities may have no technical knowledge!.

I have never seen a computer or warranty being sold to someone, with a toolkit and instruction book on diagnostics or self-repair. In fact, at one time, some manufacturers use to security seal cases and components, with the warning, that if the seal was broken then there was a likelihood that refusals might be pending. ie Do not tamper with something that you know nothing about!.

A number of years ago, I had a much promoted 'Piece of Mind' warranty, that the retailer refused to honour, even though the small print stated otherwise. On that occasion I put the matter into the 'free interest' package deal finance company's hands under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

Personally, I have got to the stage, were I give very little quarter to retailers who shun most or part of their responsibilities, in the hope that the public will accept what the retailer states as a final word.

BT 17:31 31 Mar 2009

Its pretty difficult trying to juggle the phone and unplug/undo various things at the same time, as I found out when having Modem problems with Virgin, and managing to cut myself off after about 30 mins of plugging/unplugging leads, restarting computer etc. and then having to do it all again when I called back and got a different person on the phone.

961 18:20 31 Mar 2009

...sums this up in a nutshell

We've all bought an "on-site" warranty where either the company won't send someone out, or the guy arrives and says "I can't fix this, because it's not what they said it was and I ain't got the part" After which it has to start the long trawl back to the maker via uplift, recover, repair,re-deliver. Don't you just love it!

Spuds, Wee Eddie and many others on this forum know that if it don't work outadabox you're best advised to send it back

If it does, then it will work forever unless you mess up the software, in which case they won't cover you anyway

If you are not computer savvy, resist any advice to pull the case open and delve inside. If it goes txxts up, you'll get the blame

If you know what you're doing, you'll have been in there and sorted it anyway!!

Forum Editor 00:41 01 Apr 2009

it's extremely unlikely that any physical damage is going to occur, simply by following the supplier's instructions with regard to checks. I would be extremely surprised to hear that any supplier has asked a customer to open a computer's case to check internal components. In the main the process is likely to involve operating system checks.

If you're unhappy about fiddling with settings, etc., you can refuse, although that would seem to me to be counter-productive. Many computer problems can be solved in this way, and suppliers know it. It makes sense to try to eliminate something quite trivial before going to the expense - and the time involved - of sending an engineer out.

wee eddie 10:13 01 Apr 2009

But that was not the question.

Lindaloo appears to have damaged the screen of her laptop while performing just such an operation. I cannot imagine how this happened, or how likely or unlikely it is that it could happen, but that is not the point.

The question is:

Would the Instructing Agency take responsibility for the additional repair?

lindaloo 10:46 01 Apr 2009

i passed the call to my daughter she removed battery while holding a phone her fiancees laptop battery comes out easy . we never new how to get it out . no it wasnt easy while holding the phone . as ive said now a third party is dealing with this now i will let you no the conclussion .

carver 16:19 01 Apr 2009

It's a few years ago now but I had a PC from Mesh and the CD wouldn't open, when I phoned up to sort it out I was asked to open the case up and poke about inside to see if any wires had come loose.

I was very green at that time about PC's and how they worked, I still had the power connected with it switched on.

lindaloo 09:05 02 Apr 2009

the guy made it clear to take mains adaptor out the laptop as it was froze it wouldnt go off . but mains were out .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?