Who Do I Write To?

OTT_B 13:27 02 Jul 2011

Over the last year or so, I've been getting persistent phone calls from a company who ask (in a typically presumptuous way) if I'm going to claim compensation for "the accident" that I've had. Inevitably I've not had any sort of accident and this is a telemarketing ploy. The name of the company probably isn't that important, so I'll just call it xxx (although the actual name of the company is a blatant play on a very well known charitable bureau offering advice to citizens......)

On one of the many calls they have made to me, I started asked the caller who he worked for, expecting an answer of xxx Ltd, or xxx LLB, xxx Plc etc. Other than repeating xxx, he was unwilling or unable to give any further details about the company (no address, business registration number etc). The only information that I managed to glean was that they would take my details, the details of my "accident" (or any other scenario that I might be able to make a claim for) and pass them on to their solicitors. Almost comically, he said in his last phone call that they are getting successful claims for people claiming miselling of PPI!!!! Eventually he hung up on me when the questions kept coming.

Now, they're quite obviously doing this to get a commission from whoever ends up with the information but the means by which they are doing it are, in the best case, very annoying to me. They don't seem to respond to any request to stop calling, and I have some concerns about the general legitimacy of the business and the way that it is operated (there are some details that I have left out of this post).

So, who is best to write to about this to make a formal complaint? I'm more interested in xxx being investigated for its business practices than for making annoying calls.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

spuds 14:04 02 Jul 2011

I am getting these type of calls on a regular basis of late, and there is very little that you can do about it at present, unless you have full details of the company or person doing the calls.

You could report the nuisance calls to your service provider, in hope that they can offer assistance or advice. You might also consider looking at these websites, seeing if the offer a solution www.dma.org.uk www.telepest.co.uk www.whocallsme.com www.phonespamfilter.co.uk I have not used any of the links, so I do not have any experiences of the service they provide, so you will need to consider this!.

Personally I just inform the caller that I have not had an accident, and I or any members of the household do not require their services, and then replace the telephone on its receiver. There as been quite a number of articles in the newspapers lately, about insurance companies and similar establishments who are selling their customer details to 'ambulance chasers'. Some insurance companies are now saying that they will cease the practice if others doing the same do so!.

Forum Editor 09:30 03 Jul 2011

The government is being pressed to act to stop these calls, and to stop the practice by insurers,the Police, and some hospitals of selling information to third-party claims management businesses.

In the meantime there's very little you can do, as spuds has said, apart from replacing the receiver as soon as you realise what's going on.

bremner 10:26 03 Jul 2011

Jack Straw has "alleged" that the Police Forces sell information to third party claims companies, something vigorously denied by ACPO. Click Here

Individual officers have also been alleged to have done so and in response ACPO has said "...the practice was illegal and would be rigorously investigated" as described in this article Click Here

Police do provide disclosure of accident investigations to Insurance companies as they are legally obliged to do.

morddwyd 20:02 03 Jul 2011

If you can afford it get TrueCall.

Having tried lots of methods, it is the only one that totally eliminates this type of call. From an average of three a day I have not had one in over a year.

Amazon among the cheapest, as usual.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?