Which Wireless Router should I buy?

To run a PC and Laptop (Win XP SP2 Home Editions) using Pipex Broadband at 2.2MBPS
Curry's are offering Netgear DG834GT and USB Adapter for £89.99
PC World the DGB111GT with USB adapter for same price (I think it is the same model actually!!)
What "speed" one should i get?

Djohn 15:14 06 Sep 2005

The Netgear DG834GT is an excellent router and it is, as you say selling for a good price at PC World.

I bought the same make/model myself from PCW and it not only works to perfection, but also is one of the best looking router on sale, [Very Apple looking].

Benefit of purchasing from PCW is that you can pick it up yourself, = no delay and no P/Packing, also they have a good returns policy if in the first 28 days you change your mind for any reason, you take it back for an exchange/different make/total refund. I don't think you can ask for better than that. dj.

Djohn 15:21 06 Sep 2005

It is the same model of router,check out the specifications on the PCW site, just has a differnt code number to allow for the usb adaptor.

Coonect to your main PC with the wired LAN method, then use the USB adaptor for your laptop if required. Your desktop unit should have a LAN connection at the back, so you just plug the supplied cable from the router direct into the rear of your desktop.

Really easy setup, just insert the CD and follow the onscreen instructions, it will find your ISP automatically in less than 3 seconds, open a browser window such as IE6 and off you go! ;o)

Thanks Djohn! What does a LAN connection look like? The laptop has an internal one so I wouldn't need the adapter for that, I thought that I needed it fo rthe PC ?
PS Will the laptop find the connection also? Pipex have provided a number of settings but I read somewhere that the netgear one finds the connection automatically?
Silly question- do you unplug the broadband modem or leave that as is?

wags 18:06 06 Sep 2005

Sorry to throw cold water over this, but I bought the same router with USB adapter from Ebuyer back in May. I agree that it looks nice and was very easy to set up. When it worked it was OK, although the USB adapter got really hot (this is a characteristic apparently)and the router itself was hotter than I'd expected.

However, the connection was very unreliable and dropped frequently (both the router and the USB adapter)requiring hard reboots of the router to re-establish the connection. I 'googled' and discovered that there were loads of disgruntled DG834GT users complaining about the same thing - especially on Netgear's own forum (Maybe it has been improved following a firm wear update now...??)

I'm heavily into online gaming so a reliable connection is vital for both my PCs, so I returned it to Ebuyer who, to their credit, refunded me in 3 days without any fuss and I bought a Linksys (wired) router instead which has been spot on!

Maybe I was unlucky, but as I said above, I was not alone !

good luck.

wags 18:10 06 Sep 2005

Woops, typo: 'firmware'

Oh, look at this thread on the same subject!:click here

Ok, open the question up again- which wireless router is best? (Needs to be wireless for laptop connection)
Any ideas?

What about this Ebuyer one?
Ebuyer 108MBPS 4 Port Wireless Cable/DSL Broadband Router 40 VPN Tunnels, UPNP with USB Print Server (802.11G+)
at £44.97 (including VAT)

Newuser38 19:18 06 Sep 2005

Try network forum. I still have this query outstanding on there click here it seems that the BT2100 is not yet available see click here for details of it.

Thanks- I'm getting more confused by what to do !! Have always rated Belkin though.

Argos are doing the BT2110 for £89.99 including the adapter. I also rang the helpline and got through to support on my first ring!!Am looking for reviews now!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone