belfman 22:20 27 May 2008

click here

OR click here OR
click here

Which would you choose?

belfman 22:25 27 May 2008

I'm leaning towards the Philips.

Stuartli 22:43 27 May 2008

I think you'll find that the Panasonic is the outgoing model - this is the new one:

click here

Note the 0 on the end of the model number (one of the offspring has just acquired one).

al7478 22:46 27 May 2008

Stuartli is right, but either way, if i were on the market id go for the panasonic, no question.

belfman 22:50 27 May 2008

Dang!

The Panasonic is a Plasma. I only want LCD.

There was Panasonic LCD I was looking at... where did it go? Of to look again.

Covergirl 09:12 29 May 2008

Personally, in this day and age, I would go for a TV that is full HD as opposed to "HD Ready". Min res for full HD is 1920 x 1080, click here whereas the ones you mention are not. The graphics engine will interpolate the HD signal down, to give what appears to be a HD picture but it's not true HD.

You'll pay a bit more for full HD, but there's a Wharfdale at Argos for £499 click here and I reckon that might be about the lowest price entry level HD TV you will get. Bigger brands have bigger prices.

Another thing to watch out for is a high “contrast ratio” – apparently the higher the better (eg 8000:1), but it may just be a sales pitch . . . ?

If you’re just after a cheap-ish LCD TV, you won’t go far wrong with any of the ones you mention, although I thought the specs on the Sony KDL37P3020 at £499 from Amazon, your third choice looks good value for money. Watch out though, there are 3 models of the KDL37P3020 in Argos ranging from £599.99 - £719.99.

Stuartli 09:19 29 May 2008

Most people won't notice the full benefits of HD on TV sets of less than 42in.

The difference between an LCD and a plasma set is obvious, however, and buying a Panasonic or similar top quality plasma set rather than a cheap and cheerful brand, whether LCD or plasma, will deliver the best display.

belfman 23:51 29 May 2008

So much choice for £500 eh!

click here I've been looking at this and the Argos one in your link covergirl.

Stuartli I've been put off Plasma as I'll be gaming and the thoughts of burn in is scary.

Stuartli 00:05 30 May 2008

Modern plasma sets don't/are highly unlikely to suffer from burn-in.

If you want to get rid of fixed logos such as BBCi, just press the green button on your remote control.

Also see:

click here

click here

belfman 00:19 30 May 2008

"Most people won't notice the full benefits of HD on TV sets of less than 42in."

With that in mind is it a major issue if the wharfedale (a brand I've nevr had - no confidence) has a higher resolution than the better reviewed click here sony and the samsung click here

Which of the 3 is better for viewing upscaled DVDs, Xbox360 and standard Sky TV?

I'm sitting about 3 meters away so initially I was looking at 32 inch TVs.

Totally-braindead 11:22 30 May 2008

My advice is try to see them working.

As in the other thread going on about TVs just because a TV has a higher spec than another, even of the same make, does not mean that it will give a better picture.

I have a cheap Daewoo TV, CRT type and the pictures excellent, my mum has a Panasonic CRT, higher spec and it my opinion my picture is far superior, same with LCDs and Plasmas. Just because the spec is higher does not mean the pictures any better.

Incidently my TV was half the price of my mums and its a better pic. Of course mine might pack in before my mums - who knows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?