which TFT to buy

palinka 12:14 07 Nov 2006

My local shop has these 2 monitors that interest me: 19" Sony SDM S95 FRB @ £229; and 19" Samsung 940N @ £189.
I can't find the spec of either (maybe PCA reviewed them at some point but it would take me some time to trawl through the archives)
So does anyone have info on either? or can point me towards somewhere that would provide the info - especially response rate of each; brightness/contrast ratio; but all info gratefully received.

siouxah1 13:10 07 Nov 2006

click here

palinka, this leads to the 940n specifications.
I note that this one only has D sub 15 pin input. You might like to think about buying one that had DVI input as well as the VGA 15 pin.

I use a samsung Syncmaster 940BF. It really is a good monitor giving excellant pictures. It does have both types of input. About £190.

Not sure if this is important to you or that you can source a 940BF other than on the internet.

Cannot comment on the Sony as I have no knowledge.

Brian

palinka 13:32 07 Nov 2006

thanks, I like to support local shop when I can, hence just these 2 monitors I listed (they have others but don't meet my needs) ; but it's helpful to have your othe suggestions, just in case.

Palinka

Hoseman 13:44 08 Nov 2006

Amazon has details for the Samsung one and probably also covers the Sony one:

click here

siouxah1 14:28 08 Nov 2006

Have you asked your local shop if they can obtain any other models you might look at?

Brian

season8 16:39 08 Nov 2006

If your after a bargain look no further than click here

neil79 17:09 08 Nov 2006

I've heard Sony monitors aren't very good but i'm not very technical. Just bought this Iiyama 19" for £180 and it seems good to me. click here

palinka 17:15 08 Nov 2006

thank you all - while some of you were writing responses i was out buying! Bought the samsung, because it has various features that we liked -eg pivot and swivel- which the Sony didn't have.
Only feature both lack is inbuilt speakers, but I can live with that.

Thank you to everyone who responded.

Totally-braindead 17:46 08 Nov 2006

All the TFTs I have seen that have speakers are really poor so I wouldn't be concerned with that. Far better to have seperate speakers unless space is really tight.
Hope you're happy with your purchase.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?