Which System?

leezard 09:57 17 Dec 2007

Hi there, I am just about to buy a DELL, and am quite confused! The most confusing thing for me is deciding upon a Processor. We will mainly use the PC for Web access, Downloading music, editing family photos, and Kids play games such as the Sims, Civilisation etc.. Whilst my current P.C is about 4 yrs old, does run these games fine, maybe a little slow with the SIMS, the spec is intergrated graphics card, 250mb memory, 60gb hard drive, with AMD xp220+ processor.
The new processors I am considering are, the intel core 2 duo E450, or I could stretch to the intel core duo E6550,(there is also the VIIV version, which Dell have reccommended, but this would involve having to upgrade various other patrs of the PC, which would result in the PC costing more than I want to spend), or the AMD ones are 4400+,5000+ and 5600+, live tech 64 x 2 dual core.
Reviews are conflicting about AMD or INTEL. I do see the point DELL makes about the VIIV processor, and adding a seperate graphics card, but my point is that We are doing pretty well currently on a very outdated system, and whilst I do want to keep the new PC for at least 5 yrs, I am on a budget. I am looking at between 250-320gb hard drive, and am also undecided on memory. 1 Friend has advised that te 2048mb option would be best, where as another says DELl charg too much for memory upgrades, so just get 1024mb for now, and upgrade memory later if necessary.

THis has somehow turned into an essay, but as you can see, I am really quite confused, and would be very grateful for help ad advice!

Crash 12:44 17 Dec 2007

You haven't stated a budget but go for the core 2 duo with 2gb ram and try to get at least 256mb graphics card if you intend to keep it for 5 years.

coolkid267 16:20 21 Dec 2007

this pc is very good i would reccomend this to you and its a very good computer with speakers monitor and all in one printer very good have a look click here

Totally-braindead 19:54 21 Dec 2007

I'm afraid I have to disagree with the computer that coolkid267 has linked to, its got a very poor 7300GS graphics card, it might do you but for £799 you could do better. Selling it as a gaming machine is in my opinion laughable, its no use for modern games at all. It should run the games you mention as long as they are ok for running on Vista but you could do better.
This is better click here costs £477.05 with Vista Premium and that allows you to pick a 19" monitor and they start at about £130. So total would be about the £610 mark.
Really as Crash has said you need to state some sort of budget.

leezard 15:51 22 Dec 2007

Budget with printer, really needs to be no ore than about £530

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?