Which slide scanner?

mplus4 22:16 24 Apr 2006

I have about 1000+ slides I would like to scan to CDs just for my own enjoyment (as projectors, screens etc are just such a hassle). I tried a friend's flat-bed scanner which was recommended for slide use (don't remember make)but it was time consuming so I only did a few. I know nothing about dedicated slide/film scanners so would appreciate advice. I definitely don't need top of the range - just something basic but not mind-numbingly slow if possible!

Also - any advice on treatment of slides before scanning? Some slides are 40+ yrs old and likely to be grubby.

Woolwell 23:40 24 Apr 2006

Having scanned over 500 of my 1500 or so slides I can say that it takes time and more time. Some of my slides date back to the late 60's and some had faded and some had a blueish tinge. I edited a number of scans which add to the time. Scan at a high resolution as you will want to enlarge the scans. Remove dust before scanning. My scanner is no longer made but a similar thread is running in Helproom which gives help on scanners.

click here

rmcqua 10:07 25 Apr 2006

I am part way through a project of scanning a few hundred old family 35mm colour slides. I have an Epson Perfection 3590 scanner (about £85.) Although it is not a particularly quick task, the results are excellent. I treat grubby slides by gently wiping them with a cotton wool swab moistened with methylated spirit (make sure you don't leave any cotton wool strands on the slide).
Best of luck.

pj123 11:03 26 Apr 2006

I think the thread you meant was this one:

click here

Woolwell 12:43 26 Apr 2006

Thanks - you are right. My mistake.

mplus4 20:43 26 Apr 2006

Thanks for info and links to other thread.I think I will be able to make a good decision from all this. I had wondered about cleaning with likes of meths but had vision of slide melting in my hand!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?