Which PSU do i need?

chrism1892 13:26 26 Jul 2006

I have just received my new Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe motherboard & ATI Radeon All In Wonder 2006 256MB graphics card. I am also in the process of buying an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200 processor.

A slight oversight on my part is that i need a new power supply to run this lot. My setup at the present only requires a 20 pin supply but am i right in saying that my new board needs a 24 pin? Also due to the graphics card being pci-e does the supply also need to have any extra output to accomodate this?

The power supply will also need to run 3 x sata hard drives, 1 x card reader, 1 floppy, 1 x dvd writer, 1 x dvd drive & coolermaster system.

I am ok with most of the components inside my computer but when it comes to a PSU i need a little bit of help. The link is a picture of the mobo so if anyone who is a bit more clued up on these things would like to help me decide exactly what i need it would be gratefully accepted. click here

Thanks in advance for your help.

citadel 13:51 26 Jul 2006

psu comes with a 20 pin and a 4 pin side by side, if you want 24 you just click them together. You can get modular psu's where you only plug the cables you need into the psu. It is best to get a top quality psu. most people now get a 500w to 600w psu to give power in reserve.

Smiler 13:58 26 Jul 2006

Your link doesn't work

This thread should be in the help forum not consumerwatch.

Stuartli 14:17 26 Jul 2006

Advice on a suitable PSU can be construed as being consumer related..:-)

Stuartli 14:18 26 Jul 2006

Reviews of some of the latest PSUs (including those with additional leads and cables) at:

click here

DieSse 15:43 26 Jul 2006

Get a good quality unit, rather than just a cheap high (nominal) power one. You can then look for a nice quiet 12cm fan in it, and maybe even detachable cables, for tidiness. Good range here click here look for noise figures of 20dBA or less if possible.

Also get a good heatsink for the processor - the stock ones tend to be leeser quality with higher noise fans - good range here click here - I ca thoroughly recommend Thermalrite - and with some you can get a seperate fan - 9cm low revving are the best - mine is inaudible with the case closed. Beware that all copper coolers are very heavy and usually need fitting with a backing plate to the m/board before mounting. Copper and aluminium don't always require backing plates - my Thermalrite XP90 just clips onto a standard P4
mounting.

chrism1892 16:42 26 Jul 2006

Right i think the one i may go for is Hiper HPU-4K580-MK Type R 580W at the top of the page click here

Do you think this may be a bit of overkill? It looks to provide everything i need with the dedicated pci-e power & 4 x sata.

citadel 17:00 26 Jul 2006

I have one of these and I love it, there is plenty of power if you want to install other stuff in the future.

Stuartli 17:59 26 Jul 2006

Cheaper at your link than here:

click here

Stuartli 18:00 26 Jul 2006

Sorry, didn't notice that VAT wasn't included...:-(

I must be Hiperactive with the typing fingers...

Totally-braindead 19:23 26 Jul 2006

Very nice power supply, I see you opted for a modular one. Very good move. At Xmas when I built my new PC I bought a nice Tagan power supply but didn't opt fot the modular one. Bit of a mistake there, newer power supplies have so many output on them that you struggle to get all the extra cables tucked away and they get in the way when you're trying to do anything.
I don't think its overkill, its a reasonable price for a good power supply and will leave you with plenty of power for any future upgrades.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone