Which printer

Hetti 10:55 01 Sep 2010

I have a Epson DX 5000 and have been using it with CIS, however Im now getting error message every time I try to print (does not regognise cartridge)
I was considering buying a new printer that will work with CIS with no problems (If there is such a thing) Can anyone suggest a printer based on thier own experience?
Thanks

961 11:48 01 Sep 2010

So what has happened?

Has the printer got a new driver from somewhere that blocks this system?

Have you tried any support service at CIS asking if this is a known problem?

Is it time for a new set of cartridges?

I'm not familiar with the system but there must be some explanation for it suddenly to do this

spuds 13:23 01 Sep 2010

Have you uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled the most recent for the printer. Perhaps worth a try?.

Perhaps I shouldn't say this (saving the planet!), but I have a number of printers of various makes, some with CISS like Epson's R200/220/300, and when they start playing-up I tend to put them in the storage cupboard for a later (when I get time)service check. With the end result of a new replacement with warranty as a quick solution.

At present I use a Brother DCP-135C all in one, purchased via Rymans for about £39.99 delivered and 2/3 year warranty. Great bit of kit and cheap to run as well. Compatibles work out at approx 50p each and with CISS even cheaper.

Hetti 13:38 01 Sep 2010

I have not updated drivers
I have not tried CIS support... I did search but could not find any.oes the Brother printer work
It may be cartridges, stupidly I didnt even think about that, what would be an average lifespan for them?

spuds
I will un/reinstall drivers as you say.
Does the Brother printer work without problems with CIS?

spuds 13:48 01 Sep 2010

Hetti

Up to now, its working fine (nearly 12 months).

When I installed the CISS I had to make different arrangements to that of the instruction book, nothing major though, but it would invalidate the warranty, unless you bypass the cover micro-switch. Regarding the compatible cartridges, I purchased a large supply via an eBay business dealer, no problems with them either.

961 14:07 01 Sep 2010

Is this problem something to do with the chip on the cartridge? Does it need resetting?

See note on click here about air getting into the cartridge (which I believe can be a problem with some of these systems)

Hetti 15:21 01 Sep 2010

Thanks spuds.

that link is broken

961 15:49 01 Sep 2010

Try click here

and scroll down to "click here for important notes..." which opens in a separate window

Hetti 09:08 02 Sep 2010

Carried out all suggestions no good..........

Printer seems to have given up the ghost, the carriage is sticking at the left side and making a terrible sound error message says conntact epson, so Im now definately looking for new printerannot find your Brother DCP-135C all in one online spuds.

Hetti 16:32 02 Sep 2010

Thanks all
Im gonna close this post and open another regarding a Brother DCP135C which I have been given (my Daughter) as I cannot get it working properly.
I really fed up with printers today lol

Diemmess 21:02 03 Sep 2010

Before you dump the printer try a remedy which solved a stall problem that sounded like it was tearing itself apart.

Switch off at the wall.
Open to expose the ink and the track with a shiny bar across the printer.
Find some really fine machine oil, moisten slightly a tissue and wipe the tissue along as much of the bar as you can reach.
You are only trying to make the bar slippery, do not use any excess.

Now try and slide the inks and their mount along the bar by hand. It should move smoothly if you are firm and patient with it.

once you are sure it moves readily either way you can try printing as normal.

If this works it is because the track had become bone dry and the stepper motor stalled with the awful accompanying racket as if bent on self destruction.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?