Which Printer?

tootansimooon 03:26 26 Dec 2007

Hello,
Il cut to the chase

I need a printer with which I can print about 2000 very high quality full page (a4) colour images in the space of 3-4 days without it breaking. In this time, I do not want to spend any money at all on toner or ink.
I dont care how noisy it is
I dont care how vbig or ugly it is
I dont care (particularly) how fast it is.

I just want the highest quality, most cost effective, robust printer for £250 (no more)

Please reply I'm going mad lookgin at conflicting unspecific reviews

Any help would be massively appreciated

Thanks!!!

TootanSimooon
p.s I've had various inkjet for ages and because of my line of work i need something better as I spend more on ink than on printers, its insane, and they always break after 2000 prints too! I treat them rough.

pydesign 12:08 26 Dec 2007

depends on what sort of quality of prints you are looking for, laser printer will always have their limit on image quality due to laser technology. but there are some modern laser printers which does offer a relatively good result. i have been using some Samsung ones for printing catalogue and brochure at work. and so far within 2 months of owning one with 11,000 pages count it is still working hard.

Samsung CLP510 or CLP-550 is great, not expensive to run and yet they are within £250 mark, double sided printing as standard, and there are some budget range from Samsung that are must less,

if you are going on inkjet option, some of the canon and HP are great. Epson is good too without a doubt but their running cost is often high.

jack 12:15 26 Dec 2007

Epson is good too without a doubt but their running cost is often high.
Add to that a CISS unit and the costs will tumble

click here

jack 13:52 26 Dec 2007

Have also considers not going to the expense of printer purchase, paper/ink running cost and relieve your self of the anxiety of getting a hassle free job done.
In a word - Outsource.
The many one line photoprinters offer exemplary service, the prints are Photo graphic paper prints
The service is typically 48 hour turn around and the price is comparable to Ink and paper and I am sure bulk discounts are obtainable.
Take a look at click here
sevendayshop.com
to name but 2.

100andthirty 14:06 26 Dec 2007

Assuming you want these pictures on a photo quality paper you're looking at spending £200 to £300 on paper alone. This sort of paper is not good for Laser printers, only for inkjets. As no inkjet printer will print this many images without changing ink cartridges, then you'd have to look at laser. Many lasers come with what are termed "starter" sets of toner - it you'd have to shell out for replacements earlier than normal. Even then 2000 full colour prints will challenge the capacity of most.

We're all guessing without knowledge of the purlose of the prints. For example, I often print on colour laser at work but if i want to display anything I always print on inkjet

tootansimooon 14:42 26 Dec 2007

Hello again. Thanks for your replies.

I'll explain a bit more in detail what I do.

I am an animator/film maker. I film live action footage eg ators sets etc. Then I capture the frames from these vids. I treat the frames in photoshop, and print most of them out. Then they are recaptured using a device called a rostrum camera, like making old hand drawn cartoons. The frames are all hand treated/hand coloured/given texture.

check out click here (i need it to look better than this as I am contracted to do so)

In direct response;
pydesign: I need a printer whcih is better quality than my epson dx4800 or atleast wont take half an hour, and use half the ink to print an a4 colour image.

p.s thanks, il take a look at the samsung

Jack: I'l look at ciss, Ive not considered extraneous printing. However I NEED a printer as i have tight deadlines and something might go wrong.

100andthirty: I definately dont want to print to photo paper it would be to reflective, I get paper cheap. Its good quality matt. so thats no problem. Im just wondering about laser printers.

SO if anyone could name some high quality ones (better than epson dx4800) which are cheap to run. Id be a very happy camper.

THANKS!
Tootan

jack 17:12 26 Dec 2007

The one enduring problem with Epson printers is that after a certain number of prints a messages will come up telling you that it needs serviceing.
This is because the waste ink is collected in an absorbant pad 'tank' in the base of the machine and it needs a 'nappy change'
After a time the machine will cease printing. Sot the 'counter will need to be reset.
There are two ways of ding this.
1. Is to download the Epson utuluit from csslg.com or by pressing a combination of buttons that rester the machine - which combination varies between models- a look at click here in the Epson section may reveal something
This may also help
click here

Also
click here

Good luck

ultimately Ink will start to overflow onto the outside of the mache.
The way around this is to provide an external collector and direct waste ink to this .
This ink sholud then be discarded.

jack 17:17 26 Dec 2007

The one enduring problem with Epson printers is that after a certain number of prints a messages will come up telling you that it needs servicing.
This is because the waste ink is collected in an absorbent pad 'tank' in the base of the machine and it needs a 'nappy change'ultimately Ink will start to overflow onto the outside of the machine.
The way around this is to provide an external collector and direct waste ink to this .
This ink should then be discarded.
After a time the machine will cease printing. So the 'counter will need to be reset.
There are two ways of ding this.
1. Is to download the Epson utility from ssclg.com or by pressing a combination of buttons that reset the machine - which combination varies between models- a look at click here in the Epson section may reveal something
This may also help
click here

Also
click here

Good luck

kjrider 23:16 26 Dec 2007

After problems with inkjet, I would not buy one again, especially not a L******K.

I have a Zerox Phaser, cost me £99 + vat & carriage, and it is great. There are also a lot of other colour laser around the £100 mark now.

KJR

100andthirty 13:48 27 Dec 2007

Epson C1100 seems to get good reviews for its colour prints

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?