Which one? Quick advice needed. XPS or VAIO?

jobsworthwanted 21:18 20 Mar 2011

Dell xps 15

2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2720QM processor 2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.30 GHz
Microsoft Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

Memory 6144MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [1x4096 + 1x2048]
Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M

Hard Drive 640GB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive

Optical Devices 8x DVD+/-RW Optical Drive

Wireless Networking Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 (2x2 b/g/n+ Bluetooth Combo Card)

Primary Battery 9-cell 90Whr Lithium Ion battery

LCD 15.6 HD WLED TL (1366x768) 720p with 2.0 Mega Pixel Integrated Camera

£865.09 delivered

or

Sony vaio e series

Processor: Intel® CoreTM i5-480M, 2.66GHz

Operating system: Windows® 7 Professional

Hard drive: 500 GB Serial ATA (5400 rpm)

Memory: 6 GB 1066MHz DDR3-SDRAM

Optical Drive: Blu-ray Disc(TM) writer

Wireless LAN: Wireless LAN + Bluetooth®

Display: 39.4 cm LCD, 1920x1080, webcam

Graphics: ATI MobilityRadeon HD5650 1GB

Battery: 6 cell Lithium Ion battery

The XPS (IMHO) looks to be the better choice. the screen obvious not full HD, but with my poor eye sight, I cant imagine it being a problem. DVD NOT BLURAY writer, but Again is this a luxury I really need? (I don't own any bluray's)

I prefer the look of the vaio, but is that really an issue? i think probably not?!

one other thing to bear in mind, I will have to upgrade the dell to windows professional, but to me it looks like a much higher spec and worth spending the extra on an OS? i have to purchase one or the other by Tuesday at the latest so any input will be gratefully received.

I could go into The reasons i need the laptop but don't have the time, and frankly cant be bothered. I just want to know which one you think i should buy?

Many thanks to any one offering advice!

Forum Editor 00:07 21 Mar 2011

which one you think i should buy?"

You'll be making the final decision,but you haven't told us the cost of the Vaio, and can't be bothered to tell us what you'll use the computer for, so it's not that easy.

Based purely on the hardware specifications the Dell looks to be a good bet, but depending on usage there may be other considerations like weight and battery life.

jobsworthwanted 03:08 21 Mar 2011

The vaio is £850. I will shortly be undertaking an it course to gain Microsoft certifications, hopefully ending in network administration. I will primarily be using the laptop at home, but do move around a little, removing the option of a desktop. I will be doing some gaming (not a lot) and use PhotoShop on a fairly regular basis. The other advantage of the dell that I neglected to mention is the inclusion of usb 3.0. Like I mentioned in my original post, I much prefer the style of the vaio, it is more aesthetically pleasing. I particularly dislike the protruding battery of the dell but think better hardware is more important than looks? I knew I should have mentioned how I intended to use the laptop. You will have to forgive me for being a miserable git and lazy (my excuse for not giving enough detail. Hopefully the added information will help people make a more informed recommendation!
thanks for any input.

Pine Man 08:25 21 Mar 2011

'You will have to forgive me for being a miserable git and lazy'

You should do well in IT then;-)

jobsworthwanted 13:47 21 Mar 2011

Anyone have anymore advice?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017