Which MOUSE should I buy?, please

erkmatrix 14:22 08 Nov 2006

I don't seem to be able to get it right, I got a new PC in July/August time and got a logitech optical mouse and keyboard combo with usb wired and the keyboard was ok but the mouse with its laser I just found it was very annoying as the cursor would jump to the top of the screen for no reason, so I searched for a mouseball one as I never had that problem with a ball moving the cursor. I couldn't find one, they must not make them now.

So I got about a month ago a cordless Microsoft Optical desktop 5000 and thought this should be good but no the mouse doesn't respond half the time, I get something saying weak signal even though its inches away from the receiver, a load of tosh I thought, very frustrating.

What does everyone else here use, any that are recommended, I want to sell my desktop 500 and go back to wired but what do I go for, there must be something that works ok.

Phil

Danoh 14:52 08 Nov 2006

I had a Trust laser laptop mouse which also had a kangaroo cursor and had to return it for a refund although I had to pay the return delivery.

But I have the following wireless which have all been fine;
MS Wireless Notebook Optical 4000
MS Wireless keyboard + optical mouse set
Logitech wireles keyboard + optical mouse set

Optical mice operation does depend on the surface being used; e.g. no good on glass, certain wood-effect or highly polished surfaces.

My wired keyboards and mice are too old to be worth recommending.

Stuartli 15:10 08 Nov 2006

Lidl currently has an optical mouse at around £9 which is similar to the one included in its own brand name's Silvercrest £14.99 wireless keyboard and optical mouse set.

These are, in fact, rebadged A4Tech products, a well regarded manufacturer of these goods and which, I strongly suspect, also makes the Microsoft models...:-)

I have the previous Silvercrest set (£19.99) which features a comfortable optical mouse and a pleasant to type on keyboard.

The A4Tech website can be found at:

click here

It doesn't normally take long to find your own particular rebadged product on the site (many top names rebadge them), although I would suspect that if A4Tech does produce the Microsoft models, they will be individual designs.

sean-278262 17:43 08 Nov 2006

Game do a really nice wired optical mouse which works well. I have had about 8 of them now that are used on computers all over the place. £8.99 last time I got one. I wouldnt go wireless however.

€dstowe 19:01 08 Nov 2006

I always use wired mice (mouses?) for maximum reliability.

Totally-braindead 19:06 08 Nov 2006

I use a Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse and its wired. Did have a wireless one but it went thru batteries quite quickly and if you don't keep a spare set around it can be a pain so like €dstowe and Creature of the Nite I don't go wireless. Mine was £7 I think.

Stuartli 19:37 08 Nov 2006

I'm on my system, on and off, for around 15 hours a day.

The keyboard (rechargeable) batteries last around four months and those in the mouse around eight to 10 weeks (partially due to the optical demands).

The software flashes a warning icon in the Notification area if and when the keyboard or mouse batteries are approaching the end of their useful life.

Sir Radfordin 20:12 08 Nov 2006

Have used the Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0 (with the wheel that goes from left to right!) for a couple of years now and have no problems with it. It works and keeps on working - used about 4x AA batteries in that time.

The extra left/right functionality of the wheel is used once in a while but wouldn't bother getting a mouse with it again.

josie mayhem 21:27 08 Nov 2006

For several years now I've had a Belkin wireless keyboard and optical mouse. Got fed up with constantly killing the roller type of mouse.

I'm on the second set of batteries for the keyboard and the mouse batteries last a fair amount of time. (I've do use my computer a fair bit, so much that the left button has a nice worn patch showing the black underneath the silver)

The problem with your first optical mouse, having the curosor jumping, is most likley due to an uneven surface, any fine scratches or dents will send the light signal all ways. A sheet of A4 paper can reslove this.

JYPX 00:30 09 Nov 2006

No batteries for me. Like Totally-braindead I think a Microsoft wheelmouse optical is the best around. Use a mousemat and use the software - programme the wheel ro replicate double click when you click the wheel, (and never double click again). Your index finger will thank you when you are very old.

Probabilitydrive 12:46 09 Nov 2006

I'm using Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0 and it works like a treat. What I particular like is MS IntelliPoint software click here with which you can cofigure the mouse in all sorts of ways.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?