Which laptop would suit a silver surfer?

shirva77 22:34 08 Dec 2014

Hi there, i'm looking for advice as to which laptop would suit my 94 year old granny. She's had a Dell inspiron on Windows XP, and an Asus running Win 7. She cannot get to grips with Win 7, and i'm not even contemplating a Win 8 for her! I was wondering if a Google Chromebook would be better for her, as all she'd be using it for would be to browse the net. Or even a fairly large screen android tab with a keyboard? Any advice would be much appreciated!

onthelimit1 09:24 09 Dec 2014

I really think that at that wonderful age, she would be better with what she knows, ie XP. If she's struggling with W7 (which isn't really that different to XP), then I don't think she would be happy with anything different.

spuds 10:53 09 Dec 2014

I was an advocate for XP until I started to use W7, which as grown on me , the more I use it. Still have XP which I use daily.

Recently purchased a Levono G700 laptop with large screen, which is perfect, product wise, for a silver surfer like me. Only problem is that it came with W8.1 pre-installed, which I would not recommend. Hopefully Microsoft will be offering a free update from W8.1 to W10 early next year.

Some of the silver surfer's that I know, now have and use Tablet's for their daily internet needs. Light, easy to use, but battery power must be taken into consideration.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?