Which Laptop Do I Get? Sony Vaio AR51E / Dell 1520

Hi there,

It's been quite a while since I last posted on the PCAdvisor forums and hope everyone's having a great start to the year 2008.

I've got a bit of a dilemma on which laptop to get, my budget is a max of £650.

I could get the

Sony Vaio AR51E Core-2-Duo T7250 for around £650
click here
which is also available on the btshop.com

or

Dell 1520 for £479

click here=

My criteria was that the Laptop should have a 2Ghz processor and 2GB RAM.

I was initially sold with the Vaio but the Dell Laptop is £180 cheaper albeit with not the best graphics card and smaller display.

So I would greatly value your thought on which would be better value for money as some of my friends have advised me not to go for a Dell but I am concerned if I go for the Sony and I was to purchase it from either Play or BTshop and was to face problems in the future, how I would go about repairing it under the guarantee?

Look forward to hearing your views.

Many Thanks

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:51 05 Jan 2008

Personally I would go for the 17" screen Dell click here and add the 8600M GT graphics for £40.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:53 05 Jan 2008

ps...that would be £590 all together and it includes an inbuilt webcam+2GB RAM+250GB HD+DVD writer.
G

SANTOS7 20:56 05 Jan 2008

did they make a AR5E in the series then? bet they didn't....

hi there would appreciate some more view on this thanks? has anyone purchased a laptop from BTShop or Play before?

hi could i please have some more feedback thanks

Crash 20:52 09 Jan 2008

Haven't personally bought a laptop from play but have heard of others who had very good experiences buying laptops from them. That Sony Vaio is a good laptop for the price, I would also recommend this Sony Vaio with a built in bluray player click here
Also Dell laptops are very good and could recommend them without a doubt

barnie1 23:25 12 Jan 2008

It might be worth noting that if you already have an "HD Ready" LCD TV, then by purchasing the Sony, you have an HDMI "OUT" which means you can conncet this to your TV and enjoy another laptop option. I don't think the DELL offers you this. If they did for the same price, I would buy a DELL.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?