Which Laptop Cooling Pad?

Musashi 12:58 27 Aug 2008

Hi there,

I just got myself a laptop (Acer Aspire 5920) and am finding the typical problem of it getting pretty hot on my lap. I bought this laptop to use when sitting on my sofa, or in bed etc, not so much at a desk. So I was wondering if anyone could advise me what laptop cooling pad to get? It's 15.5 inch in size and it would have to be able to rest on my legs, or on a duvet/blanket etc. I have seen quite a few products, namely interested in the Zalman ZM-NC1000, but have no idea if I could sit this on a duvet or blanket. Haven't a clue what I'm looking at really. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks very much for your time.

version8 17:43 27 Aug 2008

PC World do a few as do Maplins.
To be honest most Laptops are not really designed to be put on your lap.
The do not dissipate the heat as well as other PC's.

Curio 18:43 27 Aug 2008

Take your pick from the almost endless list at
click here

Terrycot 19:31 27 Aug 2008

I use a wooden board 1.5 inches thick perfect.

pchelper001 21:21 27 Aug 2008

I bought one from cpc, that amazon sell as well, i cannot remember the make, but it was black and has wrinkles in it, with different coloured surrounds available. It has proved very useful for me.

peter99co 21:59 27 Aug 2008

I have a Belkin one from Makro. Single fan but it works very well and was a sensible price. Bought three more for the Grandkids.

Musashi 13:11 28 Aug 2008

Thanks very much everyone. Still not really sure what to do though. I thought laptops were supposed to go on your lap hence why it's called a 'lap'top. The wooden board sounds like a good idea, stops the underneath being completely covered underneath by a duvet or blanket etc. I'm disabled so can't always sit at a desk. I think I might pop into PC World and ask them their opinion and if they have anything in stock that'll do the job. There's so many on amazon and the likes that I really wouldn't know which one to get. None of them really say if they're designed to sit on a lap.

peter99co 13:24 28 Aug 2008

I use mine on a teatray which has a cushion fitted on the bottom. When I had it on my lap it made my legs cold.

Curio 14:22 28 Aug 2008

As per peter99co post. A tray with cushion attached. Cushion on lap, PC on tray, problem solved!
click here

wee eddie 20:36 28 Aug 2008

Try eBay for many choices at less that a tenner!

adviceman 15:28 27 Nov 2008

eTrays are beanbag laptop lap trays that have been specifically designed for laptops and gaming. They are extra long so you can use them with a mouse and have an aluminium shield layer that reflects heat and wifi signals.
Definately worth a look - click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache