Which laptop to buy (Samsung Q210?)

User-1336661 21:17 08 Feb 2009

I am looking for a new laptop, with portability and reliability as the top priorities. Having read many reviews, the Samsung Q210 seems to fit the bill quite well - 12.1" screen, weighs around 2kg and seems to be a generally good performer, and Samsung laptops get an excellent rating for reliability, service and general satisfaction in (please forgive me, PC Advisor) PC Pro's 2008 awards.

However, there are a few problems. Aside from the fingerprint-magnet casing (I'm hoping people will grow out of the current craze for totally impractical gloss finishes), I gather that the screen suffers from excess reflectivity and a limited vertical viewing angle, so I wanted to see it for myself, but can't find any shops near me that have it in stock. My nearest John Lewis only had one variant, and they say the stock has run out and won't be replenished.

The model they had used the Intel T5750 processor, but there seem to be several more sub-models, with different amounts of memory and using T3400, T6400 and P8400 processors. The T3400 seems a bargain at around £470, but all the reviews I've read seem to have been for the P8400, which is more like £650, but that one seems to be out of stock at the vendors I would usually consider.

Also, the graphics issue... I will NOT be using the laptop for gaming, but I do want it to play DVDs smoothly, so I'm not sure whether to go for a model with the integrated graphics (Intel X4500, 128MB shared memory) or the dedicated card (Nvidia GeForce Go 9200M GS). Some people swear and curse at the mention of any integrated graphics, and pour scorn on Intel's efforts in particular, whereas others say the X4500 is much improved over older versions, and there's no point in forking out for the Nvidia (with its higher impact on battery usage) unless absolutely necessary.

So I'd be grateful if anyone can help me decide here, or if anyone can shed any light on the stock issues with the more powerful model. First and foremost - integrated or dedicated graphics?

That in itself may determine the choice of processor, but just in case it doesn't, any views on whether it's worth holding out for a P8400 rather than a T3400? I want a good performer, and don't generally like buying 'old' technology (I gather the T series is an older architecture?) but it doesn't have to be blindingly fast.

Any views or information much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?