which laptop to buy help!!

lettirulz 11:35 07 Sep 2010

i have decided i want to buy a laptop from pc world.co.uk so this is where i am looking at laptops.
I need one asap for university, I do not need any particular graphics i just need it to be fast and run mulitple programs, good for uploading my music and photos, lightweight and portable, will last me a long time (my previous dell lasted me 5 years), and have a good battery life. for a budget around 500 - 600 pounds.
i have heard that the i3 processor is the best so i have narrowed my search down to:
dell inspiron N5010 or packard bell TM89.
both have the same processor, same memory and same hard drive sizes. i picked dell because my other one lasted me so well with little problems, and i like the packard bell because it is light and nice looking and it comes with adobe photoshop. also the packard bell seems to have windows 7 64 bit, whereas the dell is only windows 7, is this a good reason to pick the packard bell over dell?
i am also open to other laptop brands if they are considered better than these two. i have heard toshiba and sony vaio are pretty good, but quite expensive with the i3 processor. is it worth going for the i3 or are there other cheaper processors that are just as quick.
as you can tell im quite clueless so id appreciate as much help as i can get!
thanks

The Kestrel 18:46 09 Sep 2010

Why not look at Dell laptops direct, many have 24 hour delivery option. click here.

If you search on the forum for PC world, you will find many instances of poor support from 'The Tech Guys' when things go wrong. At least buying from Dell, if problems arise your are dealing with the manufacturer direct.

john bunyan 19:20 09 Sep 2010

Have a look at this spec:

click here

This has a 5i processor, and I bought it at J Lewis with a free 2 year guarantee. My local repair man likes Toshiba and Asus. Some on this forum have criticised Dell's service, back up etc.
Worth comsidering John Lewis over PC World.
Most laptops include Windows 7 64 bit.

Photoshop Elements 8 is about £70, so would not let that decide your choice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?