which laptop?! any advice?

cptlaury 15:11 11 Feb 2003

i'm looking to buy a laptop pretty soon, and i need some advice before i charge in a china store like a bull!...
i'm looking for an interntaional brand(acer, dell, etc..), as i'm currently living abroad, and the min. specs i'm looking for are a P1.8 hz or 1800 A hz processor, 256 RAM, 15 inch screen and a Ge4force or 9000 graphics card all for around £1200-1500 inc. VAT, any helpers?..........

Magik™ 16:38 11 Feb 2003

i got my dell inspiron 8200 a few months ago and can not fault it, and they are now down in price.

ams4127 19:55 11 Feb 2003

My choice a couple of years ago was Sony and it has proved to be faultless.

wee eddie 21:21 11 Feb 2003

Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Bought it from that dump on the Retail Park that everyone is so rude about.

I'm probably tempting fate but there have been no problems so far!

p.s. It probably is not at the cutting edge "speed wise" that is but it's a darn site faster than me.

Lone Crow 21:30 11 Feb 2003

I don't have one (unfortunately) but people I speak to who have bought Apple would never go back to standard MS Windows PCs again. They are more expensive but you should check them out, I reckon! LC.

Wirral Bagpuss 22:12 11 Feb 2003

I very nearly bought a laptop today in Dixons, but did not as i would feel so guilty as it is too expensive for me. But if i were to win the lottery i would go for a Toshiba. The £999 one in Dixons is a good spec, and is £31.00pm on EasyPlan. Hope this helps!

SPW 11:59 12 Feb 2003

all manufacturers will have models to suite, your main concern should be after sales support if you are abroad. if its good service your after then look around this site and youll see a few articles on each large manufacturer to pursuade you not to buy from them. best idea is call each one and talk to them about which machine would best suite your requirements. A five minute call to 3 or 4 companys will give you the best platform to guage wether they can offer the after sales support you need and also where to find the best deal.
main questions should be: does your warranty cover parts and labour? is it collect and return or return to base? do you charge for tech support? (if there is a time difference between countries)when are your support lines open? make sure that the warranty is international and you can contact an overseas and uk based service agent as neccessary.

anchor 14:12 12 Feb 2003

I don`t think you could go wrong with Toshiba.

They have very good international support, and most, if not, all drivers and updates are available from their web site.

You do not say which country you are in, so model choice may vary. Check on the Toshiba site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?