Which Internet Security package?

Eazy T 10:01 11 Aug 2007

Hi all

Recently got a new PC and looking to get my pc firewalled and covered from viruses - as much as you can.

What security pacakges would people recommend? Norton? Kaspersky? AVG? These are the ones a friend told me to look at.

My new OS is Vista. I used to have Norton Internet Security on my old PC but it really slowed everything down. I realise that any internet security package will do that, but Norton seemed to be quite bad for it - although my machine never got infected I guess.

Thanks for any advice.

Probabilitydrive 10:21 11 Aug 2007

Have a look and a read click here
to get an idea about security-suite performances. This supplies you with some background info for the battle you are about to enter because in all matters security some advice will always be righter than the other...:)

spuds 11:20 11 Aug 2007

Firewall ZoneAlarm click here
Anti-virus Avast click here AVG click here (use only one per computer).
Spyware Terminator click here

All free to use and update, plus all work well in their given tasks.

Pine Man 11:25 11 Aug 2007

Do you actually want a complete security package (suite) or are you happy to have individual programs.

The bottom line is that if you want a suite you will have to pay for it but it will require less maintenance. If you have individual components they could be free but will require a bit nmore maintenance.

wjrt 11:45 11 Aug 2007
  Strawballs 12:33 11 Aug 2007

If it is a package you want then I would go for McAffee my duaghter uses that one and I am quite immprressed with it,I go for the free individual ones myself

Eazy T 14:44 11 Aug 2007

Thanks for all your advice and links - going to have a read now - looks really helpful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?