Which internet browser?

ivesy 15:02 24 Oct 2004

I've read part of an article in PC Answers which suggets very strongly that users shouls use an alternative to Internet Explorer due to the security issues. What I would like to know is what is the best alternative to IE? I have Mcaffe, Spybot and Adaware running so I would need it to be compatible with these. Any ideas or am I just worrying over nothing?

Peverelli 15:04 24 Oct 2004

I'm using Firefox with no problems. Download it here: click here

Siddhartha 15:26 24 Oct 2004

Downloaded Firefox on Friday and have used it since then for all my surfing. It is fast, easy to use and it was easy to import all setting from IE (although still keeping IE as my default for now). It is a small download - 4.5 megs and is very easy to load plugins if you need them.

GibsonSt19 15:27 24 Oct 2004

If you search the forums, you'll find plenty on this topic.

A couple of my favourites are Opera and Avant Browser.

click here

click here

Diodorus Siculus 15:47 24 Oct 2004

I have used Firefox for years - it was once Phoenix and then Firebird - and has been excellent.

For an alternative mail program, have a look at Thunderbird.

OR Mozilla as an all in one solution.

Another vote for Firefox.

I've only just started using it this past week, but am so far very impressed. Much better than IE, I really like the tabbed browsing and I've not had any problems with sites not displaying properly, which I had got in the past when I tried Opera.
No problems either with online banking.

I've also switched to Thunderbird Mail, having been a long time Pegasus user - again it's a great & free program.

hkvic 15:19 26 Oct 2004

Yup another Firefox devotee here.

Have been using as default browser since version 0.92.

No major problems encountered, easy to use, easy to customise to personal needs.

Sparrowhawk 15:36 26 Oct 2004

click here

Superb!
Tab-browsing, customisable, fast, integrated with IE favourites and options.

iscanut 16:11 26 Oct 2004

My vote goes to Firefox as well. However, some sites are still only written to work with IE so don't wipe it but keep both handy. A useful plug in for Firefox is " Display page in Internet Explorer ". You then have best of both worlds.

canard 22:37 27 Oct 2004

When non IE browsers start playing up you can uninstall and reinstall which is MUCH easier and quicker than trying to deal with IE when it develops probs.

The Spires 09:20 28 Oct 2004

I tried all the above but continue to use Opera which to me is far more polished, all the above are way ahead of IE.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?